From: Bj�rn Seljebotn
Subject: Translate LISP to C
Hello,

I need a good translator running under Windows for translating LISP-code to
C-code. Shareware would be fine. Any ideas?

Bj�rn Seljebotn

From: Eugene Zaikonnikov
Subject: Re: Translate LISP to C
* Bj�rn Seljebotn <·····@nynodata.no> writes:

>  Hello, I need a good translator running under Windows for
>  translating LISP-code to C-code. Shareware would be fine. Any
>  ideas?

Well, GNU Common Lisp can compile Lisp to C. However:

- the resulting code is not intended for human eyes;
- the compiler itself is not ANSI-compliant;
- probably you would need something like Cygnus tools to compile GCL
  for Windows.

--
  Eugene
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <··············@localhost.localdomain>,
Eugene Zaikonnikov  <······@cit.org.by> wrote:
>[...]

>Well, GNU Common Lisp can compile Lisp to C. However:

ecls compiles to/via C (gcc in my installation, I don't exactly know
if it depends on GCC extensions). And at least, IIRC it aims for
ANSI Common Lisp compliance.

Regards,

Hannah.
From: Thomas A. Russ
"Bj�rn Seljebotn" <·····@nynodata.no> writes:

> I need a good translator running under Windows for translating LISP-code to
> C-code. Shareware would be fine. Any ideas?

For what purpose?  Why do you wish to translate the Lisp code into C?
How extensive or complicated is the Lisp?  Does it use CLOS and methods?

Depending on some of these answers, it may turn out that the translation
will not really be helpful to you.  For example, a CLOS-heavy system
that was translated into C would not really be something you would then
want to maintain just using the C "sources".

From: Bj�rn Seljebotn
More details..

I consider buying a system written in LISP to become a part of a larger
system written in C++. Instead of programming all of it a second time, I
wonder if I can translate it to C and then make necessary modifications. I
don't know LISP myself and have no time to learn it. The system I want to
translate is said to be programmed in Common Lisp Ansi on a Macintosh with
Allegro Common Lisp Franz.

Bj�rn Seljebotn
From: Erik Naggum
* "Bj�rn Seljebotn" <·····@nynodata.no>
| I consider buying a system written in LISP to become a part of a
| larger system written in C++. Instead of programming all of it a
| second time, I wonder if I can translate it to C and then make
| necessary modifications. I don't know LISP myself and have no time
| to learn it. The system I want to translate is said to be programmed
| in Common Lisp Ansi on a Macintosh with Allegro Common Lisp Franz.

  Franz Inc does not offer Allegro Common Lisp for the Macintosh.
  There's an Allegro for Macintosh which is not sold by Franz.  You
  need to figure out which tools you are using.

  What you want to do can't be done.  That is, you would spend more
  time doing what you consider doing than it would take you to learn
  Common Lisp and port the C++ code to Common Lisp.  Common Lisp is
  one of those languages you use when you don't have the time or the
  resources to use C++, so you're better off building a system that
  communicates between the two components.  Software development
  doesn't happen in single languages, anymore, so they communicate.

  You could hire a good Common Lisp programmer to do this for you.
  Norway has seen a sharp increase in Common Lisp programmers in the
  past few years.  Ask for help on no.it.programmering.lisp.  Or call
  me, I'll find a way.

#:Erik
--
  I agree with everything you say, but I would
  attack to death your right to say it.
From: Thomas A. Russ
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

> * "Bj�rn Seljebotn" <·····@nynodata.no>
> | ... The system I want to translate is said to be programmed
> | in Common Lisp Ansi on a Macintosh with Allegro Common Lisp Franz.
>
>   Franz Inc does not offer Allegro Common Lisp for the Macintosh.
>   There's an Allegro for Macintosh which is not sold by Franz.  You
>   need to figure out which tools you are using.

Well, depending on how old the Lisp system is, it could have been
developed using Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL) which was (for a
very short time) distributed by Franz.  It was then taken over by Apple
and renamed Macintosh Common Lisp.  It was subsequently taken over by
Digitool, who is the current distributor.

(I may have missed a step between Franz and Apple).

From: Duane Rettig
···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) writes:

> Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
>
> > * "Bj�rn Seljebotn" <·····@nynodata.no>
> > | ... The system I want to translate is said to be programmed
> > | in Common Lisp Ansi on a Macintosh with Allegro Common Lisp Franz.
> >
> >   Franz Inc does not offer Allegro Common Lisp for the Macintosh.
> >   There's an Allegro for Macintosh which is not sold by Franz.  You
> >   need to figure out which tools you are using.
>
> Well, depending on how old the Lisp system is, it could have been
> developed using Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL) which was (for a
> very short time) distributed by Franz.  It was then taken over by Apple
> and renamed Macintosh Common Lisp.  It was subsequently taken over by
> Digitool, who is the current distributor.
>
> (I may have missed a step between Franz and Apple).

In the late '80s, Franz Inc and Coral Software entered into a technology
sharing agreement which was supposed to eventually merge the two
products Allegro CL and Coral Common Lisp together.  Coral changed the
name of their product to Allegro, but the technology sharing never
occurred.  Eventually Apple bought Coral, and they initially renamed their
product Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, but for mutual reasons (especially
to avoid confusion) it was decided to drop the Allegro and they did so;
MACL became MCL. MCL was eventually taken over by Digitool, as you said.
At all times the two lisps maintained separate histories and code bases.

--
Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·············@beta.franz.com>, Duane Rettig
<·····@franz.com> wrote:

> ···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) writes:
>
> > Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
> >
> > > * "Bj�rn Seljebotn" <·····@nynodata.no>
> > >
> > >   Franz Inc does not offer Allegro Common Lisp for the Macintosh.
> > >   There's an Allegro for Macintosh which is not sold by Franz.  You
> > >   need to figure out which tools you are using.
> >
> > Well, depending on how old the Lisp system is, it could have been
> > developed using Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL) which was (for a
> > very short time) distributed by Franz.  It was then taken over by Apple
> > and renamed Macintosh Common Lisp.  It was subsequently taken over by
> > Digitool, who is the current distributor.
> >
> > (I may have missed a step between Franz and Apple).
>
> In the late '80s, Franz Inc and Coral Software entered into a technology
> sharing agreement which was supposed to eventually merge the two
> products Allegro CL and Coral Common Lisp together.  Coral changed the
> name of their product to Allegro, but the technology sharing never
> occurred.  Eventually Apple bought Coral, and they initially renamed their
> product Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, but for mutual reasons (especially
> to avoid confusion) it was decided to drop the Allegro and they did so;
> MACL became MCL. MCL was eventually taken over by Digitool, as you said.
> At all times the two lisps maintained separate histories and code bases.

Since Allegro CL runs under LinuxPPC/MKLinux and these Linux
versions are running on the Mac, Franz does offer a Common Lisp for
the Macintosh, don't they? It does not run under MacOS,
though.

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: Duane Rettig
Rainer Joswig <······@corporate-world.lisp.de> writes:

> Since Allegro CL runs under LinuxPPC/MKLinux and these Linux
> versions are running on the Mac,

These are true phrases,

> Franz does offer a Common Lisp for
> the Macintosh, don't they? It does not run under MacOS,
> though.

Perhaps we could say so, and it would be truthful (in the political
sense :-).  However, such a statement might also be considered
dishonest or misleading if we were to say it-  As a Mac user myself,
I view the name Macintosh to connote not only a piece of machine
hardware,  but a system and a philosophy.  Our lisp, which runs on
LinuxPPC, definitely does not run in MacOS, and thus does not fully
"run on a Macintosh".

It really depends on what your goals are.  If you have a PPC box you want
to run our lisp on, then we can probably accomodate you, as long as
you are willing to run (at least) linuxppc on it.  But if you want to
interface to the MacOS toolkit...

Actually, there are some who have used SoftWindows and put up our PC
version on that.  But I don't think that counts, either...

From: Bruce Hoult
In article <····························@news.is-europe.net>, Rainer
Joswig <······@corporate-world.lisp.de> wrote:

> Since Allegro CL runs under LinuxPPC/MKLinux and these Linux
> versions are running on the Mac, Franz does offer a Common Lisp for
> the Macintosh, don't they? It does not run under MacOS,
> though.

If it runs on LinuxPPC and MkLinux then it's not going to be hard to
make it work on MacOS X, thus completing the circle...
From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
In article <···························@news.akl.ihug.co.nz>,
  Bruce Hoult <·····@hoult.org> wrote:

> If it runs on LinuxPPC and MkLinux then it's not going to be hard to
> make it work on MacOS X, thus completing the circle...

MacOS X is not using X11, though. You can run it (like
you can run X11 on the Mac), but the native UI is
completely different (Quartz, AQUA).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.