From: Eric Williams
Subject: irc bots in lisp?
Have there been any successful efforts to make IRC bots with LISP
code?  I've seen Tcl/Tk and Perl out the wazoo, but no LISP.

Eric

From: Chris Double
Subject: Re: irc bots in lisp?
Eric Williams <···············@pobox.com> writes:

> Have there been any successful efforts to make IRC bots with LISP
> code?  I've seen Tcl/Tk and Perl out the wazoo, but no LISP.

There is 'lirc', an IRC client in Lisp that may prove a useful
starting point.

Lirc: http://www.highfiber.com/~gleasong/

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan
From: Jochen Schmidt
Eric Williams wrote:

> Have there been any successful efforts to make IRC bots with LISP
> code?  I've seen Tcl/Tk and Perl out the wazoo, but no LISP.
>
> Eric

Yes I've written an IRC-Bot in CL.
(It uses the CLOCCs Multithreading and socket-functions)
It doesn't run yet in CLISP because CLISP lacks a "change-class"
Method that I'd used for IRC-Message-Handling (dynamic
content-dependend spezialization of IRC-Message-Classes)

The bot is remote-controllable through a telnet-to-REPL maintenance-port.
It has a selfactualising Channel and Userdatabase (Like an IRC-Server).

It ran for two years now, but is a little bit complicated so I decided to
recode it in a more portable and useable fashion. I really like to see a
CLISP version because most other
environments are too big or too expensive.

Is someone interested to join forces to write a fully-fletched IRC-Bot
(that bursts each Eggdrop away)?

contact me,
Jochen Schmidt
From: Eric Williams
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:49:14 +0200, Jochen Schmidt <···@dataheaven.de>
wrote:

>Is someone interested to join forces to write a fully-fletched IRC-Bot
>(that bursts each Eggdrop away)?
>
>contact me,
>Jochen Schmidt

I'd love to help, but I don't think I'm really equipped to do so.  I'm
still a novice Lisp programmer.  I'm also unfamiliar with the inner
workings of IRC servers and such.

I hope this project is successful, though.  It only seems logical that
a language designed and well-suited for AI work should be used for
bot-craft.  Scripting languages are nice (or so I hear - I can't code
any myself), but they seem somewhat inappropriate for the task of
designing an intelligent bot.

Eric Williams

P.S. Is your bot open source?  If so, I'd like to look at the code.
I'm sure I could a lot about Lisp and IRC in the process.