From: Kim Yongsik
Subject: lisp problem...
descibe how property lists could be used in order to represent the
infomation that daffodils are yellow and belong to a group of plants called
bulbs. What is then necessary to retrieve this information?

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: lisp problem...
"Kim Yongsik" <········@lycos.co.kr> writes:

> descibe how property lists could be used in order to represent the
> infomation that daffodils are yellow and belong to a group of plants
> called bulbs.

A plist is a list of key/value pairs.  Consider:

(color blue parent plants)

> What is then necessary to retrieve this information?

The function you'll probably want to use is GET.  You can use SETF
with GET.

dave
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···················@news2.bora.net>, "Kim Yongsik"
<········@lycos.co.kr> wrote:

> descibe how property lists could be used in order to represent the
> infomation that daffodils are yellow and belong to a group of plants called
> bulbs. What is then necessary to retrieve this information?

Is this homework? If yes, it is considered good style in this
newsgroup not to answer those questions. Especially if
they are written like yours. Also one should know that
a lot of university teachers are reading comp.lang.lisp . ;-)

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: Erik Naggum
* "Kim Yongsik" <········@lycos.co.kr>
| descibe how property lists could be used in order to represent the
| infomation that daffodils are yellow and belong to a group of plants
| called bulbs. What is then necessary to retrieve this information?

  Please provide the e-mail address of your instructor so we get
  credit for answering his homework assignments, and you don't.

  What does it take to make people understand that USENET is not for
  solving their homework for them?  Using them for target practice?

#:Erik
--
  If this is not what you expected, please alter your expectations.
From: Christopher Browne
In our last episode (Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:40:05 GMT),
the artist formerly known as Kim Yongsik said:
>descibe how property lists could be used in order to represent the
>infomation that daffodils are yellow and belong to a group of plants called
>bulbs. What is then necessary to retrieve this information?

I'm sure various folk here would be glad to help; in order that academic
credit be properly assigned, could you pass on the email address of your
instructor so we can direct our answers there directly.

It would also be useful if you provided the date when the assignment
is due so that we know to assign the proper urgency to the timing of
assistance.
--
········@ntlug.org - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
"Ah,  fall  - when  leaves  turn  to  burnished colors  upon  darkling
From: David Bakhash
········@knuth.brownes.org (Christopher Browne) writes:

> I'm sure various folk here would be glad to help; in order that
> academic credit be properly assigned, could you pass on the email
> address of your instructor so we can direct our answers there
> directly.

Yeah, but for this question, there's you're just giving him/her some
pointers on which functions to use.  Sometimes, people just need a
hand at getting started.

For example, suggesting the CL Hyperspec, and a section where they
discuss plists, could be useful to this person, and would not count as
cheating according to most people.

dave
From: Robert Monfera
David Bakhash wrote:

> For example, suggesting the CL Hyperspec, and a section where they
> discuss plists, could be useful to this person, and would not count as
> cheating according to most people.

Decent schools require the ability of identifying and opening technical
references.  So do decent jobs.  Why do we have to be creative about
where cheating begins.

Robert
From: Christopher Browne
In our last episode (Sun, 08 Oct 2000 01:02:27 GMT),
the artist formerly known as Robert Monfera said:
>David Bakhash wrote:
>
>> For example, suggesting the CL Hyperspec, and a section where they
>> discuss plists, could be useful to this person, and would not count as
>> cheating according to most people.
>
>Decent schools require the ability of identifying and opening technical
>references.  So do decent jobs.  Why do we have to be creative about
>where cheating begins.

I suppose it is probably fair to say something like
  "There does exist the Common Lisp HyperSpec; a modicum of research
   should be sufficient to locate it and the useful information
   therein."
--
········@acm.org - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
Avoid unnecessary branches.
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Kim Yongsik" <········@lycos.co.kr> writes:

> descibe how property lists could be used in order to represent the
> infomation that daffodils are yellow and belong to a group of plants called
> bulbs. What is then necessary to retrieve this information?

I believe the first step would be to go to your instructor and tell
him/her that (Common) Lisp has grown way beyond Lisp 1.5.

Cheers

--
NYU Bioinformatics Group			 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488