From: ········@my-deja.com
Subject: Re: What Lisp needs to beat Java, etc.
In <··············@localhost.localdomain> Lieven Marchand wrote:

> Lastly, on the lack of libraries, I'd like to suggest to the people
> that complain about it to write some and make them available. Some
> complainers seem to think it their right to demand such things from
> the people who use CL to write applications. Even setting issues of
> intellectual property aside, making available code to the public has a
> real cost.  But even on the availability of libraries, the comparison
> should be made carefully. There is in the {Perl, Python, Java, ...}
> community a plethora of libraries for the more simple things like
> HTTP, SMTP etc.

> This stuff is so trivial in CL that I usually roll my
> own since looking for a library, evaluating the licence, compiling it
> and getting it integrated in my environment would take longer than
> just writing it myself.

I am new to Lisp, and I'm looking for libraries such as those for HTTP
and SMTP.

I don't expect other Lisp programmers to write libraries for me, but
many people who come to Lisp from other languages wonder how come there
aren't many available (I'm talking about networking libs here, not GUI
stuff because there are many of those around) since Lisp has been here
for a while.

I'm not lazy, and I'm willing to write my own libraries and make them
publicly available for no charge, but I don't know where to begin.  If I
don't even have a basic socket interface (I can't find any libs that
provide even that), how can I write such libraries?  You say it's
trivial, and I'm really curious how.  Could you please briefly explain
how one would go about writing a thing like that?  Where to begin, etc.

Thanks a lot,
  -- John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.