From: Guillaume Thouvenin
Subject: CLOS : need documentations
Hello,

  In my class, I have to present an OOP langage. I've chosen CLOS (they
impose me :). Could you give me some links about the differents subjects
like :
- garbage collector (implemantation inside CLOS if there is one)
- threads (I've read that CLOS is strongly "threaded")
- function overloading
- operator overloadinf
- Inhertance
- etc...

Of course, I'm not asking you to do my homework (but if you want to ...:).
I'd just like good URLs that explain how CLOS deals with those things.

Thanks for your help,
Guillaume

PS : If someone is able to send me a code example, it will be nice.

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: CLOS : need documentations
On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:41:57 -0500, Guillaume Thouvenin
<···················@polymtl.ca> wrote:

>   In my class, I have to present an OOP langage. I've chosen CLOS (they
> impose me :). Could you give me some links about the differents subjects
> like :

Look for this book at your department's library:

  "Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp - A Programmer's
  Guide to CLOS"
  Sonya Keene
  Addison-Wesley, 1989
  ISBN 0-201-17589-4

Paolo
From: Martti Halminen

If you haven't found it yet, you could look at http://www.lisp.org

> - garbage collector (implemantation inside CLOS if there is one)

Strictly speaking, CLOS is not a separate language, it is just the
object-oriented part of Common Lisp, so there is no separate CLOS
garbage collector, the same collector handles everything in the Lisp
system.

> - threads (I've read that CLOS is strongly "threaded")

The ANSI Common Lisp standard does not define threads at all, IIRC. The
major CL implementations have multi-threading systems;
implementation-specific, though relatively similar due to their design
intention to stay somewhat compatible with the Symbolics threading
system. More on this in http://www2.cons.org/cracauer/lisp-threads.html

From: R2
Guillaume Thouvenin wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   In my class, I have to present an OOP langage. I've chosen CLOS (they
> impose me :). Could you give me some links about the differents subjects
> like :
> - garbage collector (implemantation inside CLOS if there is one)
> - threads (I've read that CLOS is strongly "threaded")
> - function overloading
> - operator overloadinf
> - Inhertance
> - etc...
>
> Of course, I'm not asking you to do my homework (but if you want to ...:).
> I'd just like good URLs that explain how CLOS deals with those things.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Guillaume
>
> PS : If someone is able to send me a code example, it will be nice.

Hi,
here is two URLs, I hope you'll be able to reach them, otherwise I have
nothing else for you.

http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~strandh/Teaching/MTP/Common/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html
http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~strandh/Teaching/MTP/Common/David-Lamkins/cover.html

Have fun with Lisp...