From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: RPC interfaces
Does anyone know of an interface to RPC (I mean Sun RPC rather than
any other one) for any Lisp?  It would be better if it wasn't
vendor-specific, but it would probably be OK if it was (and I imagine
it will be...).  The system needs to run on Suns.

The only one I know of is Genera, which I've actually used, but it
doesn't run on Suns...  I realise I can do this from almost any Lisp
by FFI to a C-written RPC client/server but I'm trying to avoid that
if I can.

Thanks

--tim

From: Jason Trenouth
Subject: Re: RPC interfaces
On 17 Nov 2000 16:55:29 +0000, Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know of an interface to RPC (I mean Sun RPC rather than
> any other one) for any Lisp?  It would be better if it wasn't
> vendor-specific, but it would probably be OK if it was (and I imagine
> it will be...).  The system needs to run on Suns.
>
> The only one I know of is Genera, which I've actually used, but it
> doesn't run on Suns...  I realise I can do this from almost any Lisp
> by FFI to a C-written RPC client/server but I'm trying to avoid that
> if I can.

I think Xerox PARC's ILU can be configured to run over Sun RPC. However, I
believe ILU uses this as a transport layer for more abstract ORB-type
operations so this may not be want you want.

__Jason
From: Lieven Marchand
Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> writes:

> Does anyone know of an interface to RPC (I mean Sun RPC rather than
> any other one) for any Lisp?  It would be better if it wasn't
> vendor-specific, but it would probably be OK if it was (and I imagine
> it will be...).  The system needs to run on Suns.
>
> The only one I know of is Genera, which I've actually used, but it
> doesn't run on Suns...  I realise I can do this from almost any Lisp
> by FFI to a C-written RPC client/server but I'm trying to avoid that
> if I can.

There is one in the CMU repository at

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/io/rpc/0.html

A version of it ported for ACL is distributed with it in the contrib
directory.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@bewoner.dma.be>
Lambda calculus - Call us a mad club