From: ············@my-deja.com
Subject: LiSp SuCkS!! (wAs ...CaSe SenSitiviTy)
sO I cAn'T evEN makE My LiSP EnVIRonMent(FrEELiSP) AnD/oR pRoGRAms CaSE
SENsITiVE??!!!

WHat a CRaPPY LanGuAge!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: Re: LiSp SuCkS!! (wAs ...CaSe SenSitiviTy)
You Troll

From: Klaas
Jochen Schmidt <···@dataheaven.de> wrote in message
···················@ID-22205.news.dfncis.de...
> You Troll

I think you hurt his feelings.

-Mike
From: Kent M Pitman
"Klaas" <·····@cs.dal.ca> writes:

> Jochen Schmidt <···@dataheaven.de> wrote in message
> ···················@ID-22205.news.dfncis.de...
> > You Troll
>
> I think you hurt his feelings.

I doubt it.  To hurt his feelings, you have to say "You troll."  In English
we don't capitalize our common nouns.  And since the guy wants case
sensitivity, I can only presume he got some sort of "undefined concept"
error trying to parse Jochen's remark and never realized that he might have
been being called a "troll"...
From: Erik Naggum
* Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com>
| I doubt it.  To hurt his feelings, you have to say "You troll."  In
| English we don't capitalize our common nouns.  And since the guy wants
| case sensitivity, I can only presume he got some sort of "undefined
| concept" error trying to parse Jochen's remark and never realized that
| he might have been being called a "troll"...

  But being a "Troll" is surely a capital crime?

#:Erik
--
  ALGORITHM: a procedure for solving a mathematical problem in a finite
  number of steps that frequently involves repetition of an operation.
From: Kent M Pitman
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

> * Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com>
> | I doubt it.  To hurt his feelings, you have to say "You troll."  In
> | English we don't capitalize our common nouns.  And since the guy wants
> | case sensitivity, I can only presume he got some sort of "undefined
> | concept" error trying to parse Jochen's remark and never realized that
> | he might have been being called a "troll"...
>
>   But being a "Troll" is surely a capital crime?

Didn't get your joke at first.  Then realized you meant
a "Crime" (pronounced "KAP-it-uhl KRIME")?  I was pronouncing it
"LO-er-kase KAP-it-hul LO-er-kase KRIME" and the punchline was rendered
opaque to me.   wElL (prnounced "WELL IN EN-ee KASE"), I did finally
come to agree with you.  I guess this means the original speaker had
the HAND ("UP-uhr HAND") and got his insult through after all.
What a Idea ("KAP-it-uhl EYE-dee-uh") this lower and DISTINCTION
("UP-uhr KASE dis-TINK-shun") is.
From: ········@hex.net
> Didn't get your joke at first.  Then realized you meant
> a "Crime" (pronounced "KAP-it-uhl KRIME")?  I was pronouncing it
> "LO-er-kase KAP-it-hul LO-er-kase KRIME" and the punchline was rendered
> opaque to me.   wElL (prnounced "WELL IN EN-ee KASE"), I did finally
> come to agree with you.  I guess this means the original speaker had
> the HAND ("UP-uhr HAND") and got his insult through after all.
> What a Idea ("KAP-it-uhl EYE-dee-uh") this lower and DISTINCTION
> ("UP-uhr KASE dis-TINK-shun") is.

Hmmm...  This is vaguely taking me back to, um, um, the Infocom game
"Planetfall."  (Or perhaps "PlanetFall" :-).)  The protaganist visits
a planet where the inhabitants write things in a sort of "phonetic
English."

I knew some versions of the Infocom "adventure engine" were Lisp-like;
I didn't think they conformed with the HyperSpec, though...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@hex.net") <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #38. "If an enemy I have just killed has a
From: Cor Gest jr
"Klaas" <·····@cs.dal.ca> writes:

> Jochen Schmidt <···@dataheaven.de> wrote in message
> ···················@ID-22205.news.dfncis.de...
> > You Troll
>
> I think you hurt his feelings.
>
> -Mike

I think the poor guy doesn't understand the luxyry of having 52 instead
of 26 defunc 's,   would he...? ;-))

cor

--
(defvar my-computer '((OS . "GNU Emacs") (Boot-Loader . "GNU Linux")))
/*    If GNU/LINUX has no solution, you've got the wrong problem    */
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <··············@cleopatra.clsnet.nl>,
Cor Gest jr  <···@clsnet.nl> wrote:
>[...]

>I think the poor guy doesn't understand the luxyry of having 52 instead
>of 26 defunc 's,   would he...? ;-))

Hey, I have good news for you. The brand-new standard for Common Lisp
in fact allows defuns whose names are *more* than one character long.
So you can have even more than 52 different functions in your programs.
Even *much* more.

With just up to two characters, you'll have 702 choices for function
names (okay, subtract some for predefined names like "do"). And that
number will even increase more once you think about three or even
four character function names.

(with-very-kind-regards 'hannah)

(or is that (wvkr ...) ?)
From: Robert Virding
In article <············@c3po.schlund.de>,
 ······@schlund.de (Hannah Schroeter) writes:
>Hello!
>
>In article <··············@cleopatra.clsnet.nl>,
>Cor Gest jr  <···@clsnet.nl> wrote:
>>[...]
>
>>I think the poor guy doesn't understand the luxyry of having 52 instead
>>of 26 defunc 's,   would he...? ;-))
>
>Hey, I have good news for you. The brand-new standard for Common Lisp
>in fact allows defuns whose names are *more* than one character long.
>So you can have even more than 52 different functions in your programs.
>Even *much* more.
>
>With just up to two characters, you'll have 702 choices for function
>names (okay, subtract some for predefined names like "do"). And that
>number will even increase more once you think about three or even
>four character function names.
>
>(with-very-kind-regards 'hannah)
>
>(or is that (wvkr ...) ?)

That's a pretty revolutionary concept to lay on someone on a Tuesday
morning.  Multiple letter function names!  Next you will be telling me
I can use other characters than just letters.  Wow.
:-)

--
Robert Virding                          Tel: +46 (0)8 545 55 017
Alteon Web Systems                      Email: ··@bluetail.com