From: Robin Francis
Subject: help me
can any body help me in making a lisp function simplify
which should return the value
(simplify'(+ 3 5 x 0(*(* x y z)0))), should return (+ 3 5 x)

From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: help me
"Robin Francis" <·······@uwindsor.ca> writes:

> can any body help me in making a lisp function simplify
> which should return the value
> (simplify'(+ 3 5 x 0(*(* x y z)0))), should return (+ 3 5 x)

Shouldn't this return (+ 8 x) instead ??

From: Jonathan BAILLEUL
Robin Francis a �crit :

> can any body help me in making a lisp function simplify
> which should return the value
> (simplify'(+ 3 5 x 0(*(* x y z)0))), should return (+ 3 5 x)

That precise kind of trick was used besides the GLOS project
(http://glos.sourceforge.net, site in progress) to make optimized code
for transformation matrices multiplication.
But for now I'd suggest you take a look to a similar instance involving
boolean expressions simplifications

Go to the page:
http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~strandh/Teaching/MTP/2000-2001/Dir.html
to download the following documentation: "Programming Style by Peter
Norvig and Kent Pitman".
On pages 71+, there is a program for simplifying expressions, with an
detailed instance for boolean ones.

Best regards,

--
----------------------------
Bailleul Jonathan
From: Kent M Pitman
"Robin Francis" <·······@uwindsor.ca> writes:

> can any body help me in making a lisp function simplify
> which should return the value
> (simplify'(+ 3 5 x 0(*(* x y z)0))), should return (+ 3 5 x)

Is this homework?
From: Frank A. Adrian
First of all, ask you're TA or professor.  If that doesn't work, think about
the problem for a bit and see if that helps (you actually might want to try
this step before step 1).  Finally, if all of that doesn't get you anywhere,
you might try to find Lisp material to read that might help you.

Hope this helps!
faa

···················@pdomain.uwindsor.ca...