From: David J. Fiander
Subject: Franz's right vs left hands
Well, just for grins (like all computer people, I'm an
empiricist), I downloaded and installed ACL 6.0 Trial for
Windows.  The readme that comes with it reports that

	To make the downloadable file as small as possible, we
	have only included one Allegro CL image, one that
	includes the IDE and is in International "ANSI" mode
	(case insensitive upper, as opposed to case sensitive
	lower of "Modern" images).

which is _not_ what I was expecting from the "discussion" that's
been going on here for the past little while.  The modification
date on ACL60/readme.txt is Oct 27.  It also includes
instructions for building other versions of the runtime,
including a "modern" one.

- David
--
David J. Fiander          | We know for certain only when we know little.
Librarian                 | With knowlege, doubt increases
From: Kevin Layer
Subject: Re: Franz's right vs left hands
On Wed, 08 Nov 2000 15:15:11 GMT, ·········@sympatico.ca (David J.
Fiander) wrote:

>Well, just for grins (like all computer people, I'm an
>empiricist), I downloaded and installed ACL 6.0 Trial for
>Windows.  The readme that comes with it reports that
>
>	To make the downloadable file as small as possible, we
>	have only included one Allegro CL image, one that
>	includes the IDE and is in International "ANSI" mode
>	(case insensitive upper, as opposed to case sensitive
>	lower of "Modern" images).
>
>which is _not_ what I was expecting from the "discussion" that's
>been going on here for the past little while.  The modification
>date on ACL60/readme.txt is Oct 27.  It also includes
>instructions for building other versions of the runtime,
>including a "modern" one.
>
>- David

On Windows, we have even more images, that include our IDE:

allegro.dxl -- Modern w/IDE
allegro-ansi.dxl -- ansi w/IDE
mlisp.dxl -- Modern, base lisp only
alisp.dxl -- ansi, base lisp only

We can only distribute one image in the downloadable file.  To make
matters worse on Windows, the zip-to-exe program we use does a much
worse job than bzip2.

So, on UNIX, we distribute alisp.dxl, and on Windows we distribute
allegro-ansi.dxl.  Yes, it's not consistent.  Was it the best
decision?  I don't know.  We could have distributed allegro.dxl on
Windows, or alisp.dxl on UNIX.  The fact is, it's done.  We included
instructions on how to build images we didn't deliver in the Trial.

Paying customers for Enterprise and Professional get **all** images.

Kevin Layer
Franz Inc.