From: Harold Levin
Subject: Port of CLISP to MacOS X ?
Does anyone know of one?

The sourceforge version doesn't 'config'
successfully under Mac OS X Public Beta.

And the brief mention of what to try
to modify the 'unix' build doesn't seem to work.

From: Sunil Mishra
Subject: Re: Port of CLISP to MacOS X ?
I have struggled against the beast and have been defeated. I started by
looking at the build instructions for macosx server, but had to lie to
config, telling it that I had a bsd system. The config "worked", but the
makefile did not contain a machine architecture specification. I
explicitly included a -DRS6000, another white lie... But then it broke
somewhere in the source code on some undefined type, and given my
unfamiliarity with the system I could do little but throw up my hands
and give up.

From: Alex Karahalios

In article <··············@everest.com>, Sunil Mishra
<············@everest.com> wrote:

> I have struggled against the beast and have been defeated.

Good news! I just got CLISP  built on Mac OS X Public Beta and
successfully ran the testsuites. I had to go through several gyrations,
but here is a list of things I think lead up to a successful build. This
is somewhat of a hack.

1. CLISP is version clisp-2000-03-06

2. Execute the following commands:

   cd clisp-2000-03-06
   ./configure --host=powerpc-apple-rhapsody"
   cd src
   ./makemake  --with-readline --with-gettext > Makefile
   make config.lsp

3. Edit config.lsp appropriately (I just changed vi to emacs)

4. Edit Makefile and add -DRS6000 to CFLAGS (I'm sure there is a better
place to put this):
   CFLAGS = -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type
         -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-sign-compare -O2 -DUNICODE -DRS6000

5. Apply the following diff to src/lispbibl.d
   1993c1993,1997
   <     #define TIME_ABSOLUTE
   ---
   >      #if defined(UNIX_RHAPSODY)
   >        #undef TIME_RELATIVE
   >      #else
   >        #define TIME_ABSOLUTE
   >      #endif

6. Apply the following diff to src/unix.d
   60,64c61,65
   <     #undef HAVE_MUNMAP
   <     #undef MMAP_ADDR_T
   <     #undef MMAP_SIZE_T
   <     #undef RETMMAPTYPE
   <     #undef HAVE_WORKING_MPROTECT
   ---
   > //    #undef HAVE_MUNMAP
   > //    #undef MMAP_ADDR_T
   > //    #undef MMAP_SIZE_T
   > //    #undef RETMMAPTYPE
   > //    #undef HAVE_WORKING_MPROTECT

6. Do a make and enjoy

Note: I had also symbolically linked config.guess and config.sub from

   src/linkkit/autoconf
   src/linkkit/readline/support
   src/autoconf

to versions in /usr/libexec which recognize the machine architecture, but
the --host= above overrides this so I don't think you'll need it.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

Alex Karahalios