From: Joachim De Beule
Subject: free ACL < 6.0 ?
Hello all,

I just found out that the Allegro CL 6.0 trial edition expires after a
period of at most 6 months.  This was not the case for previous
releases so, since I don't have the money to buy a license, is
there anyone that can help me obtain a free previous ACL?

I'm running Redhat 7.0 on a PIII pc.

Thank you, Joachim De Beule.

From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: Re: free ACL < 6.0 ?
Joachim De Beule wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just found out that the Allegro CL 6.0 trial edition expires after a
> period of at most 6 months.  This was not the case for previous
> releases so, since I don't have the money to buy a license, is
> there anyone that can help me obtain a free previous ACL?

As I understand the comments from Franz Inc. to this topic, you should
simply ask them in 6 months if you could get a new license.
It also seems to be no problem to get a version that has no 30 day limit,
but like above you'll have to ask for it and you should be able to explain
why you need it.

Regards,
Jochen
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 07 Nov 2000 10:43:48 +0100, Joachim De Beule <·······@arti.vub.ac.be>
wrote:

> I just found out that the Allegro CL 6.0 trial edition expires after a
> period of at most 6 months.  This was not the case for previous
> releases so, since I don't have the money to buy a license, is

This is not correct. Trial Edition releases before 6.0 had absolute
expiration dates rather than relative ones, i.e. November 1, 2000 for ACL
5.0.1 if I remember correctly. So continuing to use a version earlier than
6.0 looks like a violation of the license.

Paolo
From: Erik Naggum
* Joachim De Beule <·······@arti.vub.ac.be>
| I just found out that the Allegro CL 6.0 trial edition expires after
| a period of at most 6 months.

  Worry about it in five months.  Franz Inc are not going to cut off
  the Trial Edition, they just want you to use the latest version of
  their product.  ACL 6.0 Trial came out a few days before ACL 5.0.1
  Trial was set to die.  They'll keep doing this, hopefully with a
  little more overlap so porting code can be smoother for those who
  want to see the differences between the versions, but the _worst_
  that'll happen is that they'll scare the bejeezus out of you by
  having broken some standard behavior that you relied on, until you
  read the readme file to figure how to reduce your blood pressure.

#:Erik
--
  Does anyone remember where I parked Air Force One?
                                   -- George W. Bush
From: Kevin Layer
On 08 Nov 2000 01:47:31 +0000, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:

>* Joachim De Beule <·······@arti.vub.ac.be>
>| I just found out that the Allegro CL 6.0 trial edition expires after
>| a period of at most 6 months.
>
>  Worry about it in five months.  Franz Inc are not going to cut off
>  the Trial Edition, they just want you to use the latest version of
>  their product.  ACL 6.0 Trial came out a few days before ACL 5.0.1
>  Trial was set to die.  They'll keep doing this, hopefully with a
>  little more overlap so porting code can be smoother for those who
>  want to see the differences between the versions,

Correct.  Now that the expiration is no longer in the Lisp itself,
this problem won't come up again.

>  but the _worst_
>  that'll happen is that they'll scare the bejeezus out of you by
>  having broken some standard behavior that you relied on, until you
>  read the readme file to figure how to reduce your blood pressure.

Kevin Layer
Franz Inc.