From: David G Ainscough
Subject: HELP PLEASE ! QUESTION?
I have been set a project at University to find the difference between
LISP and PROLOG, there are lots of great site's out there telling you
about each product but none that really tell you any thing in real
detail.  Could some please either point me in the right direction or
give me a basic overview of the 2 languages.

Many Thanks

David G Ainscough

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: HELP PLEASE ! QUESTION?
In article <·················@netcomuk.co.uk>, David G Ainscough
<···@netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:

> I have been set a project at University to find the difference between
> LISP and PROLOG, there are lots of great site's out there telling you
> about each product but none that really tell you any thing in real
> detail.  Could some please either point me in the right direction or
> give me a basic overview of the 2 languages.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> David G Ainscough

Even though the Web has a lot of information - in this case
I'd just go to the local University library and
do some old-fashioned book study. Hint 1: start with
some introductory AI programming books... Hint 2:
books are those pieces of ... ;-)

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: J.L. Perez-de-la-Cruz
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> In article <·················@netcomuk.co.uk>, David G Ainscough
> <···@netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have been set a project at University to find the difference between
> > LISP and PROLOG, ...
> > David G Ainscough
> >

> Even though the Web has a lot of information - in this case
> I'd just go to the local University library and
> do some old-fashioned book study. Hint 1: start with
> some introductory AI programming books... Hint 2:
> books are those pieces of ... ;-)

More important:
Hint 3: First do a little research about
your instructor's preferences :-)

---------------------
Jose-Luis Perez-de-la-Cruz
ETSI Informatica
POB 4114
MALAGA 29080 SPAIN
Tlf +34 952 132801
Fax +34 952 131397
--------------------
From: David Bakhash
David G Ainscough <···@netcomuk.co.uk> writes:

> I have been set a project at University to find the difference
> between LISP and PROLOG, there are lots of great site's out there
> telling you about each product but none that really tell you any
> thing in real detail.  Could some please either point me in the
> right direction or give me a basic overview of the 2 languages.

There's plenty out there to read about the two languages.  Prolog is a
declarative programming language, useful for very limited
applications, and (in my opinion) not too useful for general purpose
programming.

Common Lisp is a general purpose programming langauge, mostly
procedural, with object oriented capabilities (unmatched by any other
object system I know of) and built-in tools which allow for the
embedding of other languages within its very environment (including
Prolog).

You can read more on the web.  For CL stuff, see http://www.lisp.org

dave