From: Mark Francis Brian Kelly
Subject: Expert system on subject of Epilepsy what language?
Hi you all...

I am in my third year of my course in Computer science at Cardiff
University now :-)  (one more year and than I graduate and get married
to my fiancee...)   Well anyway for my final year project I am going
to design an expert system on the subject of Epilepsy where people can
get information about the illness, and to help change people
Perception of the illness at hand...  Well anyway the inital project
started out (with my supervisor) to use JESS to make the system..
Well whilst going to Italy I for some reason thought it was in LISP..
Well anyway, now three weeks into the project (got a year to do it.)
My question is this..

The expert system will be access though the internet using java as the
interface.  I don't know much about LISP I mean I did an AI module in
second year but it was only cover very quickly (more of it was going
to be covered in AI2 this year but for numerous family matters i can't
do that module this year.)  Whilst browsing on the web I found many
resources for LISP but not for JESS.  I only found one URL site on
JESS

http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/

and one book in my university library (well thesis actually)

http://library.cf.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=25&ti=21,25&CNT=10+records+per+page&FT=JESS&PID=18377&SEQ=20001103020345&SID=1

Now from what I gather , JESS is very good with JAVA, but LISP is
(like for example in this newsgroup itself) is very well supported...
Since I don't know neither language but I do know Pascal / C++ can any
of you advise of which of the two will be the ideal programming
language to use for the expert system above.  (oh in LISP I was
thinking of using common LISP, since more standardise, and other
problem was that I was thinking of using lispworks personal edition
but wondering if the limitations it has (like the stack size) could be
a problem for a project of this size??

Thanx you all for your time.

Mark...

From: Mark Francis Brian Kelly
I would of deleted this message but since after one of the newsgroups
I read got the happy96.exe posted on it (uk.telecom) on it and either
ppl already downloaded it, or servers not accepting the request....
Hence I am going to say it here instead...  That after posting that
inital posting I found more sites (and also notice the first site had
links) and JESS does seem the best solution to do it in JAVA since it
is actually part of JAVA for one...  Also what I gather it is based on
CLIP which have things in common with LISP as well so not as bad as I
thought....

Anyway time to hit the bed now.

Mark