From: Eric Scott
Subject: Any CL implementations of Scsh - style regular expressions?
Hi, all,

A few weeks back I finally got around to installing the scsh scheme shell
for
unix and playing around with it.
(http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/~schinz/scsh-faq.html).

One of the things I liked most about it was its lispy regular expression
facility, where
the usual regexp operators are expressed as nested, prefixed expressions.
Really
makes the structure of complex regexp's clear and easy to comment where
necessary,
I seem to recall that it generates standard-format regexp's automatically as
well. Problem
is I don't really use scheme that much, or unix shells for that matter.

Anyway, it struck me as a really, uh, expressive approach to regular
expressions, and
now I'm sort of incrementally hacking up little pieces of it on an as-needed
basis
in my own CL programs. Has anyone happened to have implemented a complete
version of this or something like it in Common Lisp?

Thanks.

Greetings from San Diego,

- Eric Scott
From: Hannu Koivisto
"Eric Scott" <······@islandData.com> writes:

| in my own CL programs. Has anyone happened to have implemented a complete
| version of this or something like it in Common Lisp?

I finished implementing a nearly complete version of it in July
(started in the last autumn).  I postponed support for POSIX REs
inside SREs and implementation of ADT -> SRE unparser into the
unforeseeable future because I didn't have need for them.  It's
still over 160k of code already, though.  What has set me back from
releasing it is that it doesn't do all things in compile time that
it could and while I haven't had time to benchmark the consequences
I don't dare to let it out before fixing this shortcoming and
cleaning up some test code etc.  Unfortunately I won't have time to
work on it before next year because of the combination of work and
MSc thesis, unless someone is willing to pay for it.

--
Hannu