From: Greg Menke
Subject: Parsing
I've been toying with a program I want to try in Lisp, the input side
should read in plain text, emitting it as a series of strings.

So I need to make a fairly simple parser.  Putting aside the obvious
read a character, classify it and do stuff accordingly approach, is it
possible (or feasible or desirable) to fiddle with the readtable so
the reader itself can suck in the text stream and emit the words as
strings?  If yes, what would be a good direction to look in for more
info about setting up such a readtable?

Thanks,

Gregm

From: Allen Short
Subject: Re: Parsing
In article <··············@mindspring.com>,
  Greg Menke <··············@zxy.mindspring.com> wrote:

> I've been toying with a program I want to try in Lisp, the input side
> should read in plain text, emitting it as a series of strings.

If you're using Common Lisp, you should read Henry Baker's excellent
article on "Pragmatic Parsing in Common Lisp". His papers have been
somewhat difficult to find since the host for his archive was shut down,
but a mirror can be found here:

ftp://samaris.tunes.org/pub/food/papers/people/Henry.Baker/

the paper on parsing is at
ftp://samaris.tunes.org/pub/food/papers/people/Henry.Baker/hbaker/Prag-Parse.
html.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Greg Menke
Allen Short <·······@my-deja.com> writes:

> > I've been toying with a program I want to try in Lisp, the input side
> > should read in plain text, emitting it as a series of strings.
>
> If you're using Common Lisp, you should read Henry Baker's excellent
> article on "Pragmatic Parsing in Common Lisp". His papers have been
> somewhat difficult to find since the host for his archive was shut down,
> but a mirror can be found here:

Cool, thanks.  Now I just have to figure it out... ;)

Gregm
From: Jonathan BAILLEUL
Greg Menke wrote:

> Allen Short <·······@my-deja.com> writes:
>

> > > I've been toying with a program I want to try in Lisp, the input side
> > > should read in plain text, emitting it as a series of strings.
> >
> > If you're using Common Lisp, you should read Henry Baker's excellent
> > article on "Pragmatic Parsing in Common Lisp". His papers have been
> > somewhat difficult to find since the host for his archive was shut down,
> > but a mirror can be found here:
>
> Cool, thanks.  Now I just have to figure it out... ;)
>
> Gregm

You can try ZEBU, a common-lisp parser.
The author always posts some update messages in this newsgroup...

--
----------------------------
Bailleul Jonathan
From: David E. Young
Jonathan BAILLEUL wrote:

> You can try ZEBU, a common-lisp parser.
> The author always posts some update messages in this newsgroup...

And, the latest known version is available (temporarily) from my sourceforge
page:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/lisa

I've augmented Zebu 3.5.5 to support CMUCL and added an MK:DEFSYSTEM-compatible
system definition file. Hopefully the CLOCC project with pick up ownership of
Zebu, since the software is GPL'd.

David E. Young
Fujitsu Network Communications  "The fact that ... we still
(···········@fnc.fujitsu.com)    live well cannot ease the pain of
                                 feeling that we no longer live nobly."
                                  -- John Updike
(defun real-language? (lang)