From: Brian Hayes
Subject: ping Digitool?
Has anyone detected signs of life recently at Digitool (makers
of Macintosh Common Lisp)? I've been trying to reach them
for more than a week. E-mail goes unanswered. The telephone
goes unanswered. Are they working WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS?

Brian Hayes                           ······@amsci.org

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: ping Digitool?
* Brian Hayes wrote:
> Has anyone detected signs of life recently at Digitool (makers
> of Macintosh Common Lisp)? I've been trying to reach them
> for more than a week. E-mail goes unanswered. The telephone
> goes unanswered. Are they working WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS?

I bet they are.  Typical lisp people, using without-interrupts when
they should be using a lock.  They'll never run on multiprocessors.

--tim
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <···············@cley.com>, Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com>
wrote:

> * Brian Hayes wrote:
> > Has anyone detected signs of life recently at Digitool (makers
> > of Macintosh Common Lisp)? I've been trying to reach them
> > for more than a week. E-mail goes unanswered. The telephone
> > goes unanswered. Are they working WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS?
>
> I bet they are.  Typical lisp people, using without-interrupts when
> they should be using a lock.

Digitool knows the difference. MCL has LOCKs built-in and
they are extensively used for example in CL-HTTP.
Also MCL has CCL::IGNORING-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS . ;-)

I guess Digitool is currently working without using
CCL::WITH-SHOWN-PROGRESS.

This brings me to some other trivia. My favorite MCL
function is: CCL::MAKE-PROGRESS . ;-) I like to
make progress. I'd like to have a portable version,
though.

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de