From: Benoit Paul
Subject: Help: LispWorks and linux
Hi, I have installed LispWorks personal edition for Linux with rpm.
Unfortunatly when I try to run LispWorks, I get this message:
"Failed to find adress for external symbol "canvusWidgetClass"

I use KDE

Do you have any idea or suggestion to solve this problem? I really would
like to learn lisp :o)
Thanks a lot,
Ben

From: dave linenberg
Subject: Re: Help: LispWorks and linux
Benoit Paul wrote:

> Hi, I have installed LispWorks personal edition for Linux with rpm.
> Unfortunatly when I try to run LispWorks, I get this message:
> "Failed to find adress for external symbol "canvusWidgetClass"
>
> I use KDE
>
> Do you have any idea or suggestion to solve this problem? I really would
> like to learn lisp :o)
> Thanks a lot,
> Ben

I did the following.....
remove any lesstif rpms if you have them installed
as root user ....
(if rpm -qa | grep lesstif   comes up with anything, do a rpm -e
lesstif-xxxxxxx )
go to  http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/  , type whatever in the fields,
click
on the Metrolink banner, and download  and install the open group's motif
rpms
(rpm -i   openmotif-2.1.30-1_MLI.i386.rpm )
This should solve your problems.

I like Franz's non guified linux version A LOT better, but it all comes
down to personal
preference.  Set up emacs such that it works seemlessly with the Franz
linux trial, and you
will be a very happy Lisp learner.

Dave
From: Martin Thornquist
[ Benoit Paul ]

> Hi, I have installed LispWorks personal edition for Linux with rpm.
> Unfortunatly when I try to run LispWorks, I get this message:
> "Failed to find adress for external symbol "canvusWidgetClass"

Do you have Motif/Lesstif installed properly (you need one of those)?
Have you read the installation guide thoroughly? It looks like some X
thing, but I'm not enough into Motif/Lesstif to know if it's one of
those.

Martin
--
"Plus I remember being impressed with Ada because you could write an
 infinite loop without a faked up condition.  The idea being that in Ada
From: David Fox
Martin Thornquist <·······@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> [ Benoit Paul ]
>
> > Hi, I have installed LispWorks personal edition for Linux with rpm.
> > Unfortunatly when I try to run LispWorks, I get this message:
> > "Failed to find adress for external symbol "canvusWidgetClass"
>
> Do you have Motif/Lesstif installed properly (you need one of those)?
> Have you read the installation guide thoroughly? It looks like some X
> thing, but I'm not enough into Motif/Lesstif to know if it's one of
> those.
>

> Martin
> --
> "Plus I remember being impressed with Ada because you could write an
>  infinite loop without a faked up condition.  The idea being that in Ada
>  the typical infinite loop would normally be terminated by detonation."
>                                              -Larry Wall

LispWorks does work with Lesstif, assuming it can find the library. See
http://services.harlequin.com/support/lisp/kbase.ns4/51fe6e1cdfe748a180256639005a2ba9/429f06c8098d0d3b8025687b003dc0fc?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,canvuswidgetclass

Dave

--
Dave Fox                                Email: ·····@xanalys.com
Xanalys Inc, Barrington Hall,             Tel:   +44 1223 873879