From: Silvennoinen Sami
Subject: Lisp books in the web
Hi!

Does anybody happen to know any good Lisp books/tutorials in the web
that have a printable version downloadable for free?
(By printable I mean that the whole book should be a small number of
_files_, i.e., not tex2html version. Preferably in PDF, PS or DOC
format, but HTML will do also.)

The book should be about 100 to 200 pages thick, so the CLTL won't do.
(It would be quite a handful to read as printed version.)

I have sought and sought but only books I could find were either
tex2html translations or otherwise had so many different files that they
would have been very bothersome to print.

Thanks in advance,

	zam

P.S.

I also tried to download CLTL from
http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/Web/Groups/AI/lang/lisp/doc/cltl/cltl_ps.tgz,
but the file seems to be broken. (When I try to extract it, I get a
checksum error. And yes, I tried to re-download it a few times.)

And the original ftp-site cambridge.apple.com mentioned in README
file seems to no longer exist.

From: Eugene Zaikonnikov
Subject: Re: Lisp books in the web
"Silvennoinen Sami" <···@cc.tut.fi> wrote in message
·················@baker.cc.tut.fi...

> Hi!
>
> Does anybody happen to know any good Lisp books/tutorials in the web
> that have a printable version downloadable for free?
> (By printable I mean that the whole book should be a small number of
> _files_, i.e., not tex2html version. Preferably in PDF, PS or DOC
> format, but HTML will do also.)

The only related thing that comes to my mind is _Successful_Lisp_ by David
Lamkins: http://psg.com/~dlamkins/left/sl/sl.html

BUT!!!

a) It is illegal to print it out: the book is for online reading only.
b) Even if you could get permission from David, chapters of the book are
represented by separate HTML files.

Anyway I suggest you to browse through the book, as it has a bit unusual
(for the Lisp tutorials world) practical flavour rather than academic one.

--
  Eugene.
From: Silvennoinen Sami
Eugene Zaikonnikov <······@cit.org.by> wrote:
: The only related thing that comes to my mind is _Successful_Lisp_ by David
: Lamkins: http://psg.com/~dlamkins/left/sl/sl.html

: BUT!!!

: a) It is illegal to print it out: the book is for online reading only.
: b) Even if you could get permission from David, chapters of the book are
: represented by separate HTML files.

: Anyway I suggest you to browse through the book, as it has a bit unusual
: (for the Lisp tutorials world) practical flavour rather than academic one.

Thanks for the ref, Eugene. Now I've decided to buy a hard copy of the
CLTL, but Lamkins' book appeared quite nice and pleasant to read, so
that I think I'd read it online as an appetizer before starting with the
CLTL.

</zam>
From: R Matthew Emerson
Silvennoinen Sami <···@cc.tut.fi> writes:

> Thanks for the ref, Eugene. Now I've decided to buy a hard copy of the
> CLTL, but Lamkins' book appeared quite nice and pleasant to read, so
> that I think I'd read it online as an appetizer before starting with the
> CLTL.

If you're a beginner to CL, the two books I'd recommend that you
get are:

 - ANSI Common Lisp, by Graham
 - Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming, by Norvig
   (get this book even if AI is not your thing;  read the preface
    at http://www.norvig.com/paip-preface.html to see why.)

Supplement these with the on-line Common Lisp HyperSpec, and you should
be well-equipped to learn.

-matt

--
Matt Emerson <···@grc.nasa.gov>
Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
From: Hannu Koivisto
Silvennoinen Sami <···@cc.tut.fi> writes:

| Does anybody happen to know any good Lisp books/tutorials in the web
| that have a printable version downloadable for free?

The only smallish tutorial / on-line book worth recommending I'm
aware of is David Lamkins' Successful Lisp but Eugene already
suggested that and like he said, you are not allowed to reproduce
it.

| (By printable I mean that the whole book should be a small number of
| _files_, i.e., not tex2html version. Preferably in PDF, PS or DOC

tex2html output or a large number of files in general doesn't
neccessarily make it harder to print than a small number of files.
Some suitable tool like html2ps (that can process HTML documents
recursively) usually does the trick (if not, print in several
parts, concatenate them or preprocess them in whatever way that
works for the particular case --- I don't recall facing completely
unworkable situations).  Furthermore, if the result has indeed
been created with latex2html or similar, that suggests that
probably at least the author has the original (La)TeX version so
you may try to ask for a copy of it.

| The book should be about 100 to 200 pages thick, so the CLTL won't do.
| (It would be quite a handful to read as printed version.)

It is.  Didn't bother me, though :)

| I also tried to download CLTL from
| http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/Web/Groups/AI/lang/lisp/doc/cltl/cltl_ps.tgz,
| but the file seems to be broken. (When I try to extract it, I get a

I wonder how you managed to download anything from that URL; I
simply got `connection refused'.  Try versions available at
<URL:http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html>.
Also, unless you're planning to use a 300dpi printer or you want to
torture yourself with low-resolution bitmap fonts just for the fun
of it, you really don't want to get that PS version.  Create your
own PS from the DVI version (you need to download LaTeX sources too
because the DVI archive doesn't have the PostScript pictures)
instead.

PS. Et kai vaan aio tuhlata TTKK:n paperia? ;)

--
Hannu
From: Silvennoinen Sami
Hannu Koivisto <·····@iki.fi.ns> wrote:

: Try versions available at
: <URL:http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html>.

Thanks, I downloaded CLTL and it looked so good and thorough that I
decided to buy it as a real book. So I won't be needing any on-line
books any more.

: PS. Et kai vaan aio tuhlata TTKK:n paperia? ;)

Heh, en toki aikonut. Kyll� tuossa omakin HP LJ p�yd�n kulmalla
n�k�tt��.

</zam>
From: Tapio Huuhka
Silvennoinen Sami wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anybody happen to know any good Lisp books/tutorials in the web
> that have a printable version downloadable for free?
> (By printable I mean that the whole book should be a small number of
> _files_, i.e., not tex2html version. Preferably in PDF, PS or DOC
> format, but HTML will do also.)

Touretzky's Common Lisp, a Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
seems to be available at
http://www.cs.cmu.edu:80/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

Tapio
From: Fernando
On 22 May 2000 17:27:16 GMT, Silvennoinen Sami <···@cc.tut.fi> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Does anybody happen to know any good Lisp books/tutorials in the web
>that have a printable version downloadable for free?
>(By printable I mean that the whole book should be a small number of
>_files_, i.e., not tex2html version. Preferably in PDF, PS or DOC
>format, but HTML will do also.)
Besides Lamkins, there is this one too (Lisp Primer):
http://grimpeur.tamu.edu/~colin/lp/

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com