From: Takashi Ishihara
Subject: Q: concatenate two strings
Hi,
is there any way to make a symbol or string to have a suffix,
say inpt = a, output = -a. or input = "a", output = "-a". TIA.

From: David Hanley
Subject: Re: Q: concatenate two strings
I dunno, looks a lot like homework!

Look at the functions "concatenate" and "intern"

these should get you started.

dave
From: Takashi Ishihara
David Hanley <···@ncgr.org> wrote:
> I dunno, looks a lot like homework!

Exactry.
I'm doing TA.
The requirement is to simplify a list of arithmetic ops + numbers.
No variable (symbols) in the test file, but one of students really
wants to know if it's possible to simplify variables.

> Look at the functions "concatenate" and "intern"

> these should get you started.

I already checked these. They're not helpful AFAIK.
If anybody knows a nice trick to concatenate strings or symbols, please
let me know. TIA.

From: Barry Margolin
In article <············@mark.ucdavis.edu>,
Takashi Ishihara  <······@logan.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>David Hanley <···@ncgr.org> wrote:
>> I dunno, looks a lot like homework!
>
>Exactry.
>I'm doing TA.
>The requirement is to simplify a list of arithmetic ops + numbers.
>No variable (symbols) in the test file, but one of students really
>wants to know if it's possible to simplify variables.
>
>> Look at the functions "concatenate" and "intern"
>
>> these should get you started.
>
>I already checked these. They're not helpful AFAIK.
>If anybody knows a nice trick to concatenate strings or symbols, please
>let me know. TIA.

(concatenate 'string "-" (string string-or-symbol))

The STRING function will coerce a symbol into a string, and return a string
unchanged.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Thomas A. Russ
Strings:

 (concatenate 'string ...)

Symbols:

 (intern (concatenate 'string (string symbol) ...))

  you might want to get fancier with packages, though.