From: Erik Winkels
Subject: Getting Garnet 3.0 CLISP version to work
Hi,

I got the source of both clisp-2000-03-06 and garnet30.clisp from
ftp://clisp.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/ but I am having a hell of a time
getting Garnet to work.  This is probably mostly me being a Lisp
newbie but I would appreciate some help.

I have compiled a clisp (Clisp? CLisp? CLISP?) image that includes the
new-clx module and I think the problems already start after loading
"garnet-loader.lsp" because it keeps reporting "****** NOT Loading
<THINGIE> *******" for everything.  Now I do distinctly remember this
not happening with CMUCL, but I unfortunately can't check that right
now.

I get this error after loading "garnet-compiler.lsp":

    Compilation of file
        /home/brainrot/packages/garnet-clisp/src/gadgets/save-gadget.lsp
        is finished.
    0 errors, 0 warnings
       #P"/home/brainrot/packages/garnet-clisp/src/gadgets/save-gadget"
        /home/brainrot/packages/garnet-clisp/src/gadgets/save-gadget.fas ...
    *** - LISP-RENAMED-BY-GARNET:MAKE-ENCODING: illegal
       :OUTPUT-ERROR-ACTION argument 34341

Digging through the source didn't reveal anything to me but, as I
said, this is probably due to my inexperience.

I also tried compiling with the mit-clx module but that didn't work
either, and I frankly don't want to run it with that module because of
performance issues mentioned in the documentation and in the AI FAQ.

Now I don't mind struggling through it to get the package to work but
I don't like to reinvent the wheel either.  So if anyone has gotten it
the run already I'd be much obliged if he or she described how.  (I
don't mind using an older version of both CLISP and Garnet either.
Though I did already try garnet21.clisp and garnet22.clisp from the
abovementioned site and didn't get any better results.)

Thanks,
Erik.