From: John T. H. Wong
Subject: emacs ALT-key (M-) usage with telnet from windows
Dear all lisp programmers & emacs users,

    I use unix emacs over telnet, but i got really frustrated (actually
cannot use) about the usage of emacs commands with M-key (ALT-key). As
I'm telneting from window system, press ALT (M-key) will invoke the menu

bar instead of passing the keystroke to the UNIX system.
    What should I do to solve this problem (personally i dun like
ntemacs)?

Regards
    John

From: Rudolf Schlatte
Subject: Re: emacs ALT-key (M-) usage with telnet from windows
"John T. H. Wong" <·······@hkucs.org> writes:

> I use unix emacs over telnet, but i got really frustrated (actually
> cannot use) about the usage of emacs commands with M-key
> (ALT-key). As I'm telneting from window system, press ALT (M-key)
> will invoke the menu bar instead of passing the keystroke to the
> UNIX system.  What should I do to solve this problem (personally i
> dun like ntemacs)?

Pressing Esc, then x instead of Alt-x will do the trick.
(Emacs-specific questions are better posted to comp.emacs, btw)

Hope that helps,

Rudi
From: Tim Bradshaw
* John T H Wong wrote:
> Dear all lisp programmers & emacs users,
>     I use unix emacs over telnet, but i got really frustrated (actually
> cannot use) about the usage of emacs commands with M-key (ALT-key). As
> I'm telneting from window system, press ALT (M-key) will invoke the menu
> bar instead of passing the keystroke to the UNIX system.

This should probably be on an emacs newsgroup (or perhaps a windows
one?), but we use teraterm which is a lot better than the standard
Windows telnet client, and also has options to stop windows catching
the alt key (I wish Emacs on Windows did this, so meta-tab would
work!).

It doesn't live at http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html, but it can
be found from links there and that's the only pointer I have.  It's
free.

--tim
From: Lars Bj�nnes
"John T. H. Wong" <·······@hkucs.org> writes:

> I use unix emacs over telnet, but i got really frustrated (actually
> cannot use) about the usage of emacs commands with M-key
> (ALT-key). As I'm telneting from window system, press ALT (M-key)
> will invoke the menu bar instead of passing the keystroke to the
> UNIX system.

Depending on how your system is configured:

* Try a different telnet-client

  There should loads of clients available. I'm not sure, but I seem to
  remember that NetTerm is quite Emacs-friendly. Download a trial
  here: <URL: http://www.netterm.com/html/downloads.html >

* Get a X-server for Windows (I've been using one from
  <URL:http://www.labf.com/ > for some years now)

--
Lars
From: Didier Boucard
"John T. H. Wong" wrote:

> Dear all lisp programmers & emacs users,
>
>     I use unix emacs over telnet, but i got really frustrated (actually
> cannot use) about the usage of emacs commands with M-key (ALT-key). As
> I'm telneting from window system, press ALT (M-key) will invoke the menu
>
> bar instead of passing the keystroke to the UNIX system.
>     What should I do to solve this problem (personally i dun like
> ntemacs)?

In fact, you can use ESC.
So ESC-x is interpreted as Meta-x.

Didier.
From: Oleg Goldshmidt
"John T. H. Wong" wrote:

>     I use unix emacs over telnet, but i got really frustrated (actually
> cannot use) about the usage of emacs commands with M-key (ALT-key). As
> I'm telneting from window system, press ALT (M-key) will invoke the menu
> bar instead of passing the keystroke to the UNIX system.

It has nothing to do with lisp or emacs, actually, but since you
asked... Actually, I don't know what you should do on a Windows
system, but were you using UNIX the following fragment of the
xterm man pages would help you:

       eightBitInput (class EightBitInput)
               If true, Meta characters input from  the  keyboard
               are  presented  as  a  single  character  with the
               eighth bit turned on.  If false,  Meta  characters
               are  converted  into a two-character sequence with
               the character itself preceded by ESC.  The default
               is ``true.''

Now figure out what you have to do to your Windows to make your
keyboard inputs 8-bit. if nothing helps, you are stuck with the
ESC key, as others have suggested.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | BLOOMBERG L.P. (BFM) | ····@bfr.co.il
"... We work by wit, and not by witchcraft;