From: Myles Wakeham
Subject: Article:  The importance of JAD in object oriented development
I have written an article entitled "The importance of JAD in object
oriented development." and would appreciate any feedback directly to
my e-mail address.

Please feel free to take a look at it, at:

www.techsol.org/tsart.html

Hope it is of interest.

Regards,

Myles Wakeham
Sr. Consultant
Tech Solutions Inc.
Los Angeles, CA
·····@techsol.org
From: Frank A. Adrian
Myles -

Sorry, but I don't buy it.  The fact is that, since the environment that a
system is deployed in changes, so do the requirements.  Any process that
requires relatively large amounts of upfront effort to attempt to drive a(n)
(almost) final requirements specification is fundamentally flawed.  Systems,
users, and technology change too quickly to make that "investment" pay off.
You are correct, when you state that most projects fail from incomplete or
incorrect specifications.  But since the environment that systems are
deployed in changes so rapidly, any specification developed today is "de
facto" incorrect tomorrow.  The solution is not to throw more effort into
making the static, upfront specification more "correct" - a Sisyphean task
unlikely to provide much incremental benefit - but to move towards
incrementality in specification and development, even at the lack of a
rigorous, but static, specification.  The idea of stakeholders getting
together with developers is a good one, but it must be done in a series of
small incremental meetings over the life of the project - not in a big-bang
effort at the beginning of the project where the work product will be (1)
forgotten by the users and (2) ignored by the developers.

faa