From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll
Subject: Binary of ECLS
Hi,

I have placed a binary of my version of ECL in my web page, at

http://est202.sub37.uclm.es/jjgarcia/ecls.gz

It is just a compressed executable which should work on any i386 Linux box
running a recent version of this O.S. It has been compiled with CLOS support but
without CLX, threads and other niceties. I have prepared this copy because I get
reports that ECLS does not compile well on Redhats out there. I would like to
hear about this binary as well.

In any case it is a simple way to give this program a try. It does not need any
speciall installation, just copy it to the directory where you put your programs
and run it. If your have a C compiler named "egcc" then you will be able to
compile lisp programs as well.

TIA

	Juanjo

--
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll		www: http://www.arrakis.es/~worm
Univ. Castilla-La Mancha        job: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Binary of ECLS
On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:39:59 +0100, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll
<········@ind-cr.uclm.es> wrote:

> I have placed a binary of my version of ECL in my web page, at
>
> http://est202.sub37.uclm.es/jjgarcia/ecls.gz
[...]
> reports that ECLS does not compile well on Redhats out there. I would like to
> hear about this binary as well.

It works fine on my Red Hat Linux 5.2 system.

> and run it. If your have a C compiler named "egcc" then you will be able to
> compile lisp programs as well.

Does ECLS require egcs? It does not seem to work with gcc:

  ECL (ECoLisp) Version(0.27), 09/26/97
  Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
  Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
  ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
  Type :h for Help.  Top level.
  > (defun square (x) (* x x))
  SQUARE
  > (compile 'square)
  ;;; End of Pass 1.
  Error: Not a valid type specifier VAR
         Signalled by TOP-LEVEL.
  ;;; Warning: Clearing input from *debug-io*
  Top level.

Paolo