From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Series 2000
NEW and IMPROVED version at http://series.sourceforge.net/ !!!

From the RELEASE-NOTES:

***NEW SPECIFICATION RESTRICTIONS***
------------------------------------

1. The consequences of using the gatherers introduced by GATHERING
outside the dynamic scope of the form are now explicitly stated to be
undefined, except for those declared INDEFINITE-EXTENT.

   If you need them to be indefinite extent by default,
   evaluate (pushnew :cltl2-series) before compilation (or interpreted
load)

   After loading series :cltl2-series will indicate if
backward-compatibility
   mode is enabled.

NEW FEATURES:
------------

- GATHER-NEXT
  A macro with the same effect as the NEXT-OUT function, but with result
undefined.
- GATHER-RESULT
  A macro with the same semantics as the RESULT-OF function,
- FGATHER-NEXT
  Like GATHER-NEXT, but the gatherer argument must be a symbol denoting
a gatherer bound by FLET.
- FGATHER-RESULT
  Like GATHER-RESULT, but the gatherer argument must be a symbol
denoting a gatherer bound by FLET.
- FGATHERING
  Like GATHERING, but where the gatherers are bound by FLET instead of
LET.
  Same extent rules as for GATHERING apply. Remember that where you
would use
  (declare (indefinite-extent g)) inside GATHERING, you need to do
  (declare (indefinite-extent #'g)) with FGATHERING.
- GATHERLET
  The basic construct upon which GATHERING rests. No automatic return
  of gatherer results. And no extent restrictions, of course. If you
want
  something dynamic-extent, you'll have to declare it.
- FGATHERLET
  The `F' version of GATHERLET. Duh.
- COLLECT-PRODUCT
  Like COLLECT-SUM, but for #'*. How more obvious does it get?
- INDEFINITE-EXTENT
  Declaration exported.

IMPROVEMENTS:
------------
- MACROLETs or CLOS::VARIABLE-REBINDING declarations do not block
optimization under LispWorks.
- Better code generation
  - Stricter typing.
  - Replaced some SETQs by initializations at LET binding time.
  - Removed global function namespace pollution.
  - Encapsulated series subfunctions.
- Source clean up.
  Local series functions are almost there (FLET extension)
  Bottom-up definition for improved compilation.
  Make source `FLET and LABELS ready'.
  Renamed old fragL *fragL. Used new `*type*-free' fragL whenever
possible.
  `readability/documentation' release.
  Abstracted use of aux component of frags.
  Some work done towards moving non-literal SETQs into LETs
(`letification')
  Some work done towards multiple assignment support in PRODUCING.

BUG FIXES:
---------
- Does not unintern EXT:COLLECT and EXT:ITERATE anymore under CMUCL!!!
- GATHERING et al. are not bitten by CMUCL DEFSTRUCT bugs.

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking

www.csem.ch      www.vrai.com     ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html

From: Robert Monfera
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Series 2000
"Fernando D. Mato Mira" wrote:

> NEW and IMPROVED version at http://series.sourceforge.net/ !!!

Great news!  Could you place the file in the download area?

> IMPROVEMENTS:
[...]
>   Make source `FLET and LABELS ready'.

Do you refer to progress made towards being able to use FLET and LABELS
in a later release?

Thanks,
Robert
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Robert Monfera wrote:

> "Fernando D. Mato Mira" wrote:
> >
> > NEW and IMPROVED version at http://series.sourceforge.net/ !!!
>
> Great news!  Could you place the file in the download area?

2.0.2 up there - 2.0 and 2.0.1 somehow slipped broken (?). Living up to
the 2000 name! ;->

> > IMPROVEMENTS:
> [...]
> >   Make source `FLET and LABELS ready'.
>
> Do you refer to progress made towards being able to use FLET and LABELS
> in a later release?

Yes. There should be FLET support RSN, but I don't promise you can
macroexpand
concurrently in different threads because it still fiddles with
properties, instead
of carrying an environment. As soon as you're not interpreting/compiling
in more than one
thread, you should be OK.

From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
ACL 5.x requires DEFTYPE GENERATOR to compile.
Fixed but cannot QA because SuSE is not an official platform
(breaks with system error while running tests).

I just activated it with :excl. If anyone is running an older version
and this is not necessary (it wasn't years ago), I'd like to know
[Better yet, send me a precise patch using the :ALLEGRO-VERSION>= feature]

2.0.3 up for grabs - Nothing new for other end-users.