From: Jeffrey S. Sharp
Subject: General Lisp Questions
I am evaluating programming languages for implementing a large project in
the industrial security industry.  I've recently started learning Common
Lisp for personal enjoyment, and it seems like the next best thing to sex.
I have a few general questions:

* What interfaces exist to modern GUI toolkits?  Qt or Gtk would be nice.

* What interfaces exist to C/C++ shared libs in general?

* What interfaces exist to networking and databases?

* Can you make system calls from Scheme?

* Can scheme be low-level enough to do hardware control?

* Can scheme programs run on low-powered (386) embedded boards?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--
===============================
Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: General Lisp Questions
On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 06:34:03 GMT, "Jeffrey S. Sharp"
<···@NON.subatomix.SPAM.com> wrote:

> * Can scheme be low-level enough to do hardware control?
>
> * Can scheme programs run on low-powered (386) embedded boards?

Check:

  SIMSYNCH
  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SIMSYNCH.html

Paolo
From: Andrew Cooke
Hi,

You can probably find answers to a lot of these at www.alu.org
(www.lisp.org?).

Comments below are just my own (fairly newbie) opinions

In article <····················@typhoon2.kc.rr.com>,
  "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <···@NON.subatomix.SPAM.com> wrote:
> I am evaluating programming languages for implementing a large project
in
> the industrial security industry.  I've recently started learning
Common
> Lisp for personal enjoyment, and it seems like the next best thing to
sex.
> I have a few general questions:
>
> * What interfaces exist to modern GUI toolkits?  Qt or Gtk would be
nice.

CLISP has something to do with X-windows, Garnet seems to be a popular
(but unsupported?) free toolkit, I think Gtk bindings do exist as
someone's private project, there is also a legendary "standard" toolkit
whose name I forget that's not free.

> * What interfaces exist to C/C++ shared libs in general?

I think this is specific to different implementations (there's a CORBA
thingummy too now).

> * What interfaces exist to networking and databases?

CORBA - see above (have no knowledge of this).

> * Can you make system calls from Scheme?
>
> * Can scheme be low-level enough to do hardware control?
>
> * Can scheme programs run on low-powered (386) embedded boards?

Scheme is treated/treats itself as a separate language from Lisp these
days (imho) - I think there's a Scheme group somewhere.

Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Tom Breton
Andrew Cooke <······@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> You can probably find answers to a lot of these at www.alu.org
> (www.lisp.org?).
>
> Comments below are just my own (fairly newbie) opinions
>
> In article <····················@typhoon2.kc.rr.com>,
>   "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <···@NON.subatomix.SPAM.com> wrote:
> > I am evaluating programming languages for implementing a large project
> in
> > the industrial security industry.  I've recently started learning
> Common
> > Lisp for personal enjoyment, and it seems like the next best thing to
> sex.
> > I have a few general questions:
> >
> > * What interfaces exist to modern GUI toolkits?  Qt or Gtk would be
> nice.
>
> CLISP has something to do with X-windows,

ITYM clx.

> Garnet seems to be a popular
> (but unsupported?) free toolkit,

It became Amulet in C++.

> I think Gtk bindings do exist as
> someone's private project,

S/Tk, tk bindings for Scheme.  Haven't used it myself.

> > * What interfaces exist to C/C++ shared libs in general?
>
> I think this is specific to different implementations (there's a CORBA
> thingummy too now).

And ILU, which I'm not familiar with myself.

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Not using "gh" since 1997. http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html
From: Andrew Cooke
In article <··············@world.std.com>,
  Tom Breton <···@world.std.com> wrote:
> Andrew Cooke <······@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk> writes:
> > I think Gtk bindings do exist as
> > someone's private project,
>
> S/Tk, tk bindings for Scheme.  Haven't used it myself.

You read my mind correctly except for this one.  I meant bindings with
the Gnome toolkit, but I can't find what I was thinking of now by
searching the net (there is sawmill - a Gnome window manager that
understands Lisp, afaik).  Since Gnome is CORBA based I guess Lisp works
with it "directly" via CORBA (and if the original poster is interested
in Scheme, I think Gnome and Guile are closely connected).

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Andrew Cooke wrote:

> In article <··············@world.std.com>,
>   Tom Breton <···@world.std.com> wrote:
> > Andrew Cooke <······@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk> writes:
> > > I think Gtk bindings do exist as
> > > someone's private project,
> >
> > S/Tk, tk bindings for Scheme.  Haven't used it myself.
>
> You read my mind correctly except for this one.  I meant bindings with
> the Gnome toolkit, but I can't find what I was thinking of now by
> searching the net (there is sawmill - a Gnome window manager that
> understands Lisp, afaik).
There is too SCWM it relied upon Guile/GTK no CORBA involved here. You
can download scwm from  http://scwm.mit.edu/scwm/

Regards
Friedrich
From: Daniel Barlow
Andrew Cooke <······@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk> writes:

> searching the net (there is sawmill - a Gnome window manager that
> understands Lisp, afaik).  Since Gnome is CORBA based I guess Lisp works
> with it "directly" via CORBA (and if the original poster is interested
> in Scheme, I think Gnome and Guile are closely connected).

sawmill uses a scheme/elisp mutant of its own devising.  I don't think
it supports CORBA, or at least not in any way that would help do CORBA
from CL.

For free CORBA on Unix-based Common Lisp (currently ACL), you could
have a look at CLORB - http://www.lysator.liu.se/~lenst/corba/

-dan
From: Jeffrey S. Sharp
Oops.  I screwed that one up.  I posted the same question to
comp.lang.scheme, and I forgot to do some editing before posting here...
Sorry, c.l.l.

--
Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)