From: Andreas Gustafsson
Subject: Xerox 1186 Lispmachine
Hi!

I have been fortunate enough to been able to play with
two old Lispmachines and it sure is quite fun, and
not at all like the computers of today.

One of those is a Xerox 1186 (Cherry) and it's the one
I have some troubles with.

The keyboard doesn't have any META or any other of
the fun keys the Symbolics 8650 I run has. Therefor
I have some trouble editing my text.

Have anyone of you worked with a machine like this?
Should it have a keyboard with META, SUPER, HYPER etc?

Do you know if there are any nice editing keys I can
use in a Exec window? I'm getting pretty tired of typing
every (defun ) I do umpteen times just because I mistype
something. Are there a solution?

/andreas
--
================== I'm powered by Emacs! ======================
          ** the choice of a GNU generation **

SF-fan and tea drinker. Beware!       e-mail: ····@update.uu.se
=========== Make a choice, protect your Freedom! ==============

From: Harley Davis
Subject: Re: Xerox 1186 Lispmachine
Andreas Gustafsson <····@intoxication.hemmet.s-hem.chalmers.se> wrote in
message ·················@intoxication.hemmet.chalmers.se...
> Hi!
>
> I have been fortunate enough to been able to play with
> two old Lispmachines and it sure is quite fun, and
> not at all like the computers of today.
>
> One of those is a Xerox 1186 (Cherry) and it's the one
> I have some troubles with.
>
> The keyboard doesn't have any META or any other of
> the fun keys the Symbolics 8650 I run has. Therefor
> I have some trouble editing my text.
>
> Have anyone of you worked with a machine like this?
> Should it have a keyboard with META, SUPER, HYPER etc?
>
> Do you know if there are any nice editing keys I can
> use in a Exec window? I'm getting pretty tired of typing
> every (defun ) I do umpteen times just because I mistype
> something. Are there a solution?

You need to find out how to use SEdit.

-- Harley
From: Andreas Gustafsson
"Harley Davis" <·············@nospam.museprime.com> writes:

>Andreas Gustafsson <····@intoxication.hemmet.s-hem.chalmers.se> wrote in
>message ·················@intoxication.hemmet.chalmers.se...
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have been fortunate enough to been able to play with
>> two old Lispmachines and it sure is quite fun, and
>> not at all like the computers of today.
>>
>> One of those is a Xerox 1186 (Cherry) and it's the one
>> I have some troubles with.

>> Do you know if there are any nice editing keys I can
>> use in a Exec window? I'm getting pretty tired of typing
>> every (defun ) I do umpteen times just because I mistype
>> something. Are there a solution?

>You need to find out how to use SEdit.

SEdit, ah so that's the way. Thank you!

/andreas