From: John Clonts
Subject: Hyperspec typo for progn2?
Hello,

I'm looking at the Hyperspec to learn about progn1 and progn2
(at
http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/Body/mac_prog1
cm_prog2.html#prog1 )

and under "Description" it says:

prog2 evaluates first-form, then second-form, and then forms, yielding
as its only value the primary value yielded by first-form.

Shouldn't that last word be "second-form" instead of "first-form"?

If so, perhaps someone here knows where to forward this information?  If
not, someone explain the deeper magic why it is correct as written?

Cheers,
John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Hyperspec typo for progn2?
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
John Clonts  <······@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm looking at the Hyperspec to learn about progn1 and progn2
>(at
>http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/Body/mac_prog1
>cm_prog2.html#prog1 )
>

>and under "Description" it says:

>prog2 evaluates first-form, then second-form, and then forms, yielding
>as its only value the primary value yielded by first-form.
>
>Shouldn't that last word be "second-form" instead of "first-form"?

Yes.  The "Argument and Values" section gets it right.

>If so, perhaps someone here knows where to forward this information?  If
>not, someone explain the deeper magic why it is correct as written?

Kent Pitman reads this group and I think he records errata like this.  If
the standard is ever revised, I expect he'll correct it.

If he wants you to use ANSI's formal process, I expect he'll chime in here
with the details.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Reini Urban
Barry Margolin wrote:
>Kent Pitman reads this group and I think he records errata like this.  If
>the standard is ever revised, I expect he'll correct it.

sure, but where to should he put his fixes?

there are several online version of CLHS out there, where kent did only
the first parts (v1.0, v2.0), and then the new short filenames versions
(v3.0-v5.0).
after ken left harlequin nick levine maintained it. now it's at xanadu.
nick also left. who's in charge there now?

then there's a schematext processed version with short filenames which
comes with franz acl under ansicl. it's lacks some graphics and the
issues but with schematext it is graphically managable.
("for point and click managers, so no kent is needed anymore." :)

I also have my private version converted to htmlhelp format, based on
old v3.0.

which CLHS to follow now in reality? I guess both franz and xanadu run
their own versions.

>If he wants you to use ANSI's formal process, I expect he'll chime in here
>with the details.

ANSI? is there really something going on at X3J13?
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html
From: Reini Urban
Reini Urban wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>>Kent Pitman reads this group and I think he records errata like this.  If
>>the standard is ever revised, I expect he'll correct it.
>
>sure, but where to should he put his fixes?
>
>there are several online version of CLHS out there, where kent did only
>the first parts (v1.0, v2.0), and then the new short filenames versions
>(v3.0-v5.0).
>after ken left harlequin nick levine maintained it. now it's at xanadu.
>nick also left. who's in charge there now?

kent's old and long statement about all this ("CLHS maintenance") is
stored at:

http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/news/comp.lang.lisp/msg00472.html
couldn't find that with deja.

re-reading this, some corrections:
v5.0 is the only short filename version, v3 and 4 have long ones.

nobody's in charge because they wait for typo fixes by ANSI, so it's at
kent. :)

--
Reini
From: Erik Naggum
* Reini Urban
| there are several online version of CLHS out there, where kent did
| only the first parts (v1.0, v2.0), and then the new short filenames
| versions (v3.0-v5.0).  after ken left harlequin nick levine
| maintained it. now it's at xanadu.  nick also left. who's in charge
| there now?

  The HyperSpec is intended to be a high fidelity copy of the
  standard.  It can thus not be changed to "fix" problems in the
  standard.  It should be updated when the standard is updated, and
  doing so requires a fairly formal procedure, including voting on
  these changes.

| which CLHS to follow now in reality? I guess both franz and xanadu run
| their own versions.

  There is no problem in taking the sources and producing an HTML
  version that differs from every other version, but if you change any
  of the actual _text_, I don't think you're doing anyone a favor.

| ANSI?  is there really something going on at X3J13?

  Well, what has your contribution been, lately?

#:Erik
--
  If this is not what you expected, please alter your expectations.
From: Rainer Joswig
<······@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at the Hyperspec to learn about progn1 and progn2
> (at
> http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/Body/mac_prog1
> cm_prog2.html#prog1 )
>

> and under "Description" it says:

> prog2 evaluates first-form, then second-form, and then forms, yielding
> as its only value the primary value yielded by first-form.
>
> Shouldn't that last word be "second-form" instead of "first-form"?

Yes.

> If so, perhaps someone here knows where to forward this information?  If

I think the guys who are in the ANSI CL "commitee" are
reading comp.lang.lisp and have it noticed.

--
Rainer Joswig, BU Partner,
ISION Internet AG, Steinh�ft 9, 20459 Hamburg, Germany