From: Jonathan Siegel
Subject: Running lisp as a daemon process.
Hi,

I am interested in running a lisp process to handle connections to a
port on a server using ACL5.0.1. I would like this startup process to
be automatic, but also have the ability to restart the lisp process
like a daemon without rebooting the machine. I have gotten this far:

Added the line -
lisp -L load.cl &
to a startup file on my Sun Solaris system.

This is the first half of my solution. I can then find the PID of the
lisp process, and kill it to stop the daemon, but I'm not sure how to
recreate the process in the background again. That is, if I use the
same line -
lisp -L load.cl &
the system will run fine until I close my terminal session - at which
point the lisp process dies. Does anyone have any suggestions or
experiences with this type of situation?

Thanks,
Jonathan
···@scorekeep.com

From: R Matthew Emerson
Subject: Re: Running lisp as a daemon process.
Jonathan Siegel <···@scorekeep.com> writes:

> I am interested in running a lisp process to handle connections to a
> port on a server using ACL5.0.1. I would like this startup process to
> be automatic, but also have the ability to restart the lisp process
> like a daemon without rebooting the machine. I have gotten this far:
>
> Added the line -
> lisp -L load.cl &
> to a startup file on my Sun Solaris system.

I do this on the ALU web site:

# this line is in /etc/rc.local;  "alu" is the user the lisp process
# runs as.
su alu -c /var/www/alu/start-cl-http

# /var/www/alu/start-cl-http is this
exec lisp -L lisp/start.lisp </dev/null >/tmp/cl-http.log 2>&1 &

A telnet server I load into the lisp lets me interact with a REPL
when I need to.

-matt

--
Matt Emerson <···@grc.nasa.gov>
Save keys to open doors.
From: Espen Vestre
Jonathan Siegel <···@scorekeep.com> writes:

> lisp -L load.cl &
> the system will run fine until I close my terminal session - at which
> point the lisp process dies. Does anyone have any suggestions or
> experiences with this type of situation?

use nohup (or launch from csh/tcsh which, in contrast to sh/bash,
don't require nohup).

(You may also e.g. consider redirecting input from /dev/null)
--
  (espen)
From: William Deakin
Jonathan Siegel wrote:

> This is the first half of my solution. I can then find the PID of the
> lisp process, and kill it to stop the daemon, but I'm not sure how to
> recreate the process in the background again. That is, if I use the
> same line -
> lisp -L load.cl &
> the system will run fine until I close my terminal session - at which
> point the lisp process dies. Does anyone have any suggestions or
> experiences with this type of situation?

Have you tried nohup? (man nohup is a good place to start)...

:) will