From: Andrew McDowell
Subject: EuLisp
I ran across a mention of EuLisp a bit ago, and I'm curious as to what
veteran Lispers think about it...
Is it worth looking into?
Are they (the developers) on the right track?

-Drew

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: Re: EuLisp
"Andrew McDowell" <·············@msfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> I ran across a mention of EuLisp a bit ago, and I'm curious as to what
> veteran Lispers think about it...
> Is it worth looking into?

Now maybe you can check out
http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jeff/lisp/eulisp.html

> Are they (the developers) on the right track?
I don't thinkt that there are any developers on the track any
longer. It seems to me as if EuLisp was just an academical
experiment, but the information and software I found suggests to me
that it's not developed any further.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@frown.inka.de>, Friedrich Dominicus
<···················@inka.de> wrote:

> "Andrew McDowell" <·············@msfc.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> > I ran across a mention of EuLisp a bit ago, and I'm curious as to what
> > veteran Lispers think about it...
> > Is it worth looking into?
>
> Now maybe you can check out
> http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jeff/lisp/eulisp.html

"youtoo" is an EuLisp system:

http://www.maths.bath.ac.uk/~jap/ak1/youtoo/home.html

> > Are they (the developers) on the right track?

EuLisp is kind of cool. But I prefer Common Lisp
for pragmatical reasons.

--
Rainer Joswig, BU Partner,
ISION Internet AG, Steinh�ft 9, 20459 Hamburg, Germany
From: Wolfgang S. Kechel
Andrew McDowell wrote:

> I ran across a mention of EuLisp a bit ago, and I'm curious as to what
> veteran Lispers think about it...
> Is it worth looking into?
> Are they (the developers) on the right track?
>
> -Drew
I have another implementation of Eulisp that works on most UNIX platforms.
The implementation is not complete, but has been used in a medium-sized
application: A fully graphical editor for power-plant simulation. It has a
Tcl/Tk interface.
I am currently considering a re-implementation in JAVA that allows to
run it on a JVM (like kawa), but there does not seem to be great interest in Eulisp.
Years ago the project team decided to use Eulisp in contrast to Scheme, winterp &
friends
because of the OO-approach and the MOP.
My personal experiences with the dialect are:
- No useful implementation, so I need to provide one myself
- Language spec has some deficiencies (streams, no bolean class)
+ Well-designed languages with WONDERFUL Meta Object Protocol (MOP)
+ Nice object system

I'd like to have an updated version that contains:
+ More elaborate Macros (like R5RS)
+ Add some more classes (like boolean)
+ #f (false) and nil should be different values
+ Better spec for streams
+ Unicode support
+ Minor changes of the spec in cases where it turned out to make the implementation
  run 'slow'

If anyone else is interested in this dialect, we should get into contact. Maybe
we can make some progress in the languages spec and provide an up-to-date
implementation
of the language.

--
Wolfgang Kechel                          Phone: ++49-(0)6 11-17 31-611
Patzschke + Rasp Software AG                Fax: ++49-(0)6 11-17 31-31
From: Marc Battyani
Wolfgang S. Kechel <···············@prs.de> wrote in message
······················@prs.de...

>I have another implementation of Eulisp that works on most UNIX platforms.
>The implementation is not complete, but has been used in a medium-sized
>application: A fully graphical editor for power-plant simulation. It has a
>Tcl/Tk interface.
>I am currently considering a re-implementation in JAVA that allows to
>run it on a JVM (like kawa), but there does not seem to be great interest
in Eulisp.
>Years ago the project team decided to use Eulisp in contrast to Scheme,
winterp &
>friends
>because of the OO-approach and the MOP.
>My personal experiences with the dialect are:
>- No useful implementation, so I need to provide one myself
>- Language spec has some deficiencies (streams, no bolean class)
>+ Well-designed languages with WONDERFUL Meta Object Protocol (MOP)
>+ Nice object system

Why don't you work on the OO/MOP implementation in Common Lisp?
So you will have a good object system with very good implementations.
There exists an implementation of Telos in CL. I hadn't found the time to
look at it yet but it could be worthwhile.

Marc Battyani
From: T. Kurt Bond
"Wolfgang S. Kechel" <···············@prs.de> writes:
> Andrew McDowell wrote:
> > I ran across a mention of EuLisp a bit ago, and I'm curious as to what
> > veteran Lispers think about it...
> > Is it worth looking into?
> > Are they (the developers) on the right track?

The youtoo implementation still seems to be available from

    http://www.maths.bath.ac.uk/~jap/ak1/youtoo/

It has a Tcl/Tk interface, although I'm not sure the documentation is
still available on the web.  It still builds on current versions of
Linux from the distributed source, perhaps with some minor tweaking.
I was also able to get it to bootstrap itself as well, but that took
some minor reverse-engineering of a couple of tools that were missing
from the distribution.

It seemed to work (although without any extensive testing or serious
use) under Windows NT when I built with there Cygwin B20.1, although I
did have to make some minor changes there, mostly to the makefiles and
such.

If anyone was interested, I could probably scrape up the changes I
made.

I once thought I'd like to update it to a modern autoconf build
system, but I haven't been able to find the time.

> I have another implementation of Eulisp that works on most UNIX
> platforms.  The implementation is not complete, but has been used in
> a medium-sized application: A fully graphical editor for power-plant
> simulation. It has a Tcl/Tk interface.

I'd be *very* interested in seeing this!  Is it available on the net
anywhere?

> I am currently considering a re-implementation in JAVA that allows
> to run it on a JVM (like kawa), but there does not seem to be great
> interest

I'd also be interested in seeing this.

> If anyone else is interested in this dialect, we should get into
> contact.  Maybe we can make some progress in the languages spec and
> provide an up-to-date implementation of the language.

While I don't have the time right now to do any serious development,
I'd certainly be interested in following such a discussion.

--
T. Kurt Bond, ···@tkb.mpl.com
From: Jeff Dalton
···@tkb.mpl.com (T. Kurt Bond) writes:

> > If anyone else is interested in this dialect, we should get into
> > contact.  Maybe we can make some progress in the languages spec and
> > provide an up-to-date implementation of the language.
>
> While I don't have the time right now to do any serious development,
> I'd certainly be interested in following such a discussion.

I was one of the EuLisp people way back when, and I'd certainly
be interested in seeing something done with the language.

- jeff
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
"Wolfgang S. Kechel" wrote:

> + #f (false) and nil should be different values

That's not an upgrade. What you want to provide is
an INTEGRATE-T-AND-NIL function, like in TI's PC Scheme.

PS: Talk has TELOS. ("ILOG Talk strives for compatibility with the
emerging ISO Lisp standard")

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira			   Phone    : +41 (78) 778 FDMM
 				           E-mail   : matomira AT acm DOT org
From: Simon Brooke
"Wolfgang S. Kechel" <···············@prs.de> writes:

> I'd like to have an updated version that contains:
> + #f (false) and nil should be different values

Would you care to explain why?

> If anyone else is interested in this dialect, we should get into
> contact

I always thought hte EuLisp spec had a lot of merit, and your idea of
backending it onto the JVM makes a lot of sense these days.

--
·····@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
	;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,