From: Nicholas Geovanis
Subject: Please clarify GCL status
Can someone please clarify GCL's status as a FSF "product"? The maintainer
states that it's GPL in the readme, but www.fsf.org doesn't mention it,
not even on the lists of non-FSF-but-GPL or non-GPL-but-free software. And
of course ftp references mention UTexas, not Gnu mirrors. Is this a
hangover from some AKCL-license soap-opera? (But didn't that take place,
oh, five or six years ago?)

+-------------------->
V ··········@nwu.edu         - "Davis's Law" (Tom Davis, SGI)

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: Please clarify GCL status
Nicholas Geovanis  <·······@merle.acns.nwu.edu> writes:

>Can someone please clarify GCL's status as a FSF "product"? The maintainer
>states that it's GPL in the readme, but www.fsf.org doesn't mention it,
>not even on the lists of non-FSF-but-GPL or non-GPL-but-free software. And
>of course ftp references mention UTexas, not Gnu mirrors. Is this a
>hangover from some AKCL-license soap-opera? (But didn't that take place,
>oh, five or six years ago?)

I think the problem is that no active maintainace happens for it.

All requests I've seen for "GNU Common Lisp" in the last years were
apparently not triggered by a person who wanted the specific gcl
implementation, but by idiots who think that all free software is GNU
software and/or that "GNU" is a special quality brand amoung free
software.

I appears to me that this is neither good for the FSF nor for Lisp,
since people try the "quality-branded" Lisp and are disappointed.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Lieven Marchand
········@counter.bik-gmbh.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

> All requests I've seen for "GNU Common Lisp" in the last years were
> apparently not triggered by a person who wanted the specific gcl
> implementation, but by idiots who think that all free software is GNU
> software and/or that "GNU" is a special quality brand amoung free
> software.

About the only think I use it for is to get a working MAXIMA. Bill
Schelter claims that it should compile in any CL but there are some
very hairy things going on that cause it to only work with GCL.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@bewoner.dma.be>
If there are aliens, they play Go. -- Lasker
From: Lieven Marchand
Clemens Heitzinger <········@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Maxima works with clisp, doesn't it?

I'll try. Thanks for the hint.

From: John Doner
In article <··············@localhost.localdomain>,
Lieven Marchand  <···@bewoner.dma.be> wrote:
>About the only think I use it [GCL] for is to get a working MAXIMA. Bill
>Schelter claims that it should compile in any CL but there are some
>very hairy things going on that cause it to only work with GCL.

I got MAXIMA to work under MCL a few years ago.  There was one
problem though: user input wasn't editable in the normal way;
any backspaces or whatever would get passed through.  But I
had lost interest and never got around to fixing this.  If
anyone wants it, I suppose I could dust it off.

--
John E. Doner, UCSB Math. Dept., ·····@math.ucsb.edu
From: Lieven Marchand
·····@math.ucsb.edu (John Doner) writes:

> I got MAXIMA to work under MCL a few years ago.  There was one
> problem though: user input wasn't editable in the normal way;
> any backspaces or whatever would get passed through.  But I
> had lost interest and never got around to fixing this.  If
> anyone wants it, I suppose I could dust it off.

I never got that far. There is a place in db.lisp where he tries to
define macros that play weird games with property list (the
DEFINE-MODE stuff in mrgmac).

From: Andrew McDowell
Not all of us "Idiots" thought that...

From: William Deakin
Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Can someone please clarify GCL's status as a FSF "product"?

For me the question is: `can someone please clarify GCL's status?' As far as I
am aware, (but would happy to be corrected), it is moribund in a post cltl pre
cltl2 limbo state.

Maybe it should be called GGL since if this is the case it is not a common
lisp, more of a garden lisp

;) will