From: miles
Subject: Re: Lisp - First Impressions
In article <··············@one.net.au>, Neurocrat wrote:

>I've been writing software for several years, mostly in C and C++,
>with a bit of Eiffel, Miranda, Pascal, and a few scripting languages
>acquired along the way. I'd been intending to learn Lisp for a while,
>but hadn't made the time to get started.
>
>Last night I spent some time reading the 3rd edition of Winston &
>Horn's book "Lisp", and I tried out a few examples using clisp.

I've had a similar epiphany recently.  So much so, in fact, that my
new career goal is to make sure I work in lisp at my next job.  There
is work out there.

I can't recommend Paul Graham's books enough.  His _ANSI Common Lisp_
is an excellent tutorial and introduction.  His _On Lisp_ explores the
techniques that only lisp makes possible.  Another good advanced text
is Norvig's _Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence_.

Quite an awakening, isn't it?  The only drawback of this new lisp
awareness is that programming in anything else, even my old favorite,
Python, is irritating.

--
miles at caddr dot com
From: Neurocrat
miles wrote:
> I've had a similar epiphany recently.  So much so, in fact, that my
> new career goal is to make sure I work in lisp at my next job.  There
> is work out there.
>
> I can't recommend Paul Graham's books enough.  His _ANSI Common Lisp_
> is an excellent tutorial and introduction.  His _On Lisp_ explores the
> techniques that only lisp makes possible.  Another good advanced text
> is Norvig's _Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence_.

I bought Norvig's book today, as it happens. It looks terrific. Maybe a
bit fast-paced for a beginner, but I'll give it a shot.

> Quite an awakening, isn't it? The only drawback of this new lisp
> awareness is that programming in anything else, even my old favorite,
> Python, is irritating.

Yes, it's a real eye-opener. Even if I never use Lisp professionally, it
is a whole new way of thinking. Who knows what it might lead to?

As for Python, I've recently started experimenting with that too, and
I'm quite impressed so far. It has brought back some of the fun I felt
when I first started out. I used to love this craft so much until I had
to earn a living from it. Working for fun is once again my number one
objective.