From: Robert STRANDH
Subject: Gray streams in CMU Common Lisp
Hello,

I am trying to use Gray streams in CMU Common Lisp (Debian Linux
Potato package), without much success.

I was trying to find out in which package the stream extensions were
located, and found a symbol stream-write-char in the extensions
package, but that symbol does not seem to have a function definition,
though if I understand correctly, it should be a generic function.

Any ideas?
--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: Gray streams in CMU Common Lisp

    Robert> Hello,
    Robert> I am trying to use Gray streams in CMU Common Lisp (Debian Linux
    Robert> Potato package), without much success.

    Robert> I was trying to find out in which package the stream extensions were
    Robert> located, and found a symbol stream-write-char in the extensions
    Robert> package, but that symbol does not seem to have a function definition,
    Robert> though if I understand correctly, it should be a generic function.

    Robert> Any ideas?

You need a fairly recent version of CMUCL (Potato is I think).

You probably also need the sources, since I don't think the binaries
included the gray streams files you need.  If you have sources, the
files you want are in src/pcl/gray-streams-classes.lisp and
src/pcl/gray-streams.lisp.

Compile these in this order and load them in this order.  You now have
gray-streams support.

Ray
From: Hannu Koivisto
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> writes:

| You need a fairly recent version of CMUCL (Potato is I think).

In addition one needs to use the image from cmucl-normal (or
-small, I think, but I have tried -normal only) package instead of
cmucl-safe (in potato, at least).

Peter mentioned recently that he has put a new version to woody's
upload queue that should have a gray-stream package that can be
"just loaded" (my /guess/ would be that this works with cmucl-safe
too).  So if the original poster uses woody, this new version might
appear soon (it wasn't there yet when I just checked) and be a
little bit easier to get going with gray streams.  Of course, it
may be possible to use woody's version in potato too.

--
Hannu
From: Fernando Rodríguez
Robert STRANDH escribi�:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use Gray streams in CMU Common Lisp (Debian Linux
> Potato package), without much success.

What are gray streams? O:-)
TIA
From: Daniel Barlow
Fernando Rodr�guez <···@wanadoo.es> writes:

> What are gray streams? O:-)

User-defined streams implemented as per the proposal by David N. Gray

|Problem description:
|
|  Common Lisp does not provide a standard way for users to define their
|  own streams for use by the standard I/O functions.  This impedes the
|  development of window systems for Common Lisp because, while there are
|  standard Common Lisp I/O functions and there are beginning to be
|  standard window systems, there is no portable way to connect them
|  together to make a portable Common Lisp window system.
|
|  There are also many applications where users might want to define
|  their own filter streams for doing things like printer device control,
|  report formatting, character code translation, or
|  encryption/decryption.

See ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl/cleanup/mail/stream-definition-by-user.mail

-dan

--
  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - CLiki: CL/Unix free software link farm