From: ······@bridgetrix.com
Subject: Lower case Symbols
Is there an easy way to get the reader to automatically read in symbols as
they're typed, and not automatically convert to uppercase, without using
escape characters.

   I have a text file that I want to sort.  An easy way is to surround it
by parentheses, read it in as a single list, and sort by, say,
string-lessp.  When I do that, though, the output is all-caps.  I could
read each line as a string.  Any other ideas?

  Thanks.

  Neil

Neil Cohen
Bridge Trix
Producers of the Bobby Wolff Bridge Mentoring Series
Winner: American Bridge Teachers award for software of the year -1999
http://www.bridgetrix.com
From: Michael Hudson
Subject: Re: Lower case Symbols
······@bridgetrix.com writes:

> Is there an easy way to get the reader to automatically read in symbols as
> they're typed, and not automatically convert to uppercase, without using
> escape characters.

Seomthing like:

* (let ((*readtable* (copy-readtable)))
  (setf (readtable-case *readtable*) :preserve)
  (read-from-string "foo"))
=>
|foo|
3

?

HTH,
Michael

--
  I never realized it before, but having looked that over I'm certain
  I'd rather have my eyes burned out by zombies with flaming dung