From: Steven D. Majewski
Subject: Re: best prog lang for games
Forwarded from comp.lang.misc FYI re: real world Lisp programs:

... and according to the article, Crash Bandicoot is written in a
lisp-like language.

-- Steve M.

From: Jonathan Jean-Paul BAILLEUL
"Steven D. Majewski" wrote:

> Forwarded from comp.lang.misc FYI re: real world Lisp programs:
>
> ... and according to the article, Crash Bandicoot is written in a
> lisp-like language.

Yes. The core 3d-engine is written in C/assembler, but all of the rest
is done in Lisp.
They (Naughty Dog) even went into developping some compiler features.

Nichimen graphics also produced some modeling/rendering/animating suites
in Commom Lisp, but the core time-consumming routines are (also) written
in c++.

Franz can send you a copy of a very interesting article with the same
purpose of the one you linked, essentially talking about Naughty Dog's
work (object magazine).

I don't have too much time to look for further informations about this,
do not hesitate to contact me if you want to know more (or if you have
extra articles of that kind!).
http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/public/home/gat/lisp-study.html is a
more-general article I really like (I know it through my teacher's
website), but I think it's very famous already.

> -- Steve M.
>
> In article <·············@yod.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>,
> Jochen Schneider  <·····@isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> >Jonathan Guthrie <········@brokersys.com> writes:
> >
> >> Your question is too broad.  Techniques and languages differ whether
> >> you're in it for the money (and are, therefore, almost certainly
> >> programming for one game console or another) or to prove a point.
> >> ("Abuse" was written in Lisp, to show that you could code an action
> >> game in Lisp and because the coders liked programming in Lisp.)
> >
> >There is an interesting article on alternative programming languages
> >for games on Gamasutra
> >(http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990813/languages_01.htm). The
> >whole Gamasutra site seems to be a must for game programmers.

Jonathan BAILLEUL (········@emi.u-bordeaux.fr)
Maitrise Informatique, Universite Bordeaux I
Currently attending Berkeley Summer Session Courses CS61a/CS3
From: Donald Fisk
"Steven D. Majewski" wrote:

> Forwarded from comp.lang.misc FYI re: real world Lisp programs:
>
> ... and according to the article, Crash Bandicoot is written in a
> lisp-like language.

I think it's well-known around these parts.   Those who don't
already know can find more information at
http://www.franz.com/success/customer_apps/animation/naughtydog.php3

--
Le Hibou
With regard to Mr Blair's "gut British instinct" --