From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Looking for info on MIT AI TR 794 `Presentation Based User Interfaces'
Can anybody post the abstract of the following MIT technical report?

  "Presentation Based User Interfaces"
  MIT AI Lab TR-794
  Eugene C. Ciccarelli IV
  August 1984

It's the work on which such Lisp user interfaces as Symbolics Genera's
Dynamic Windows and CLIM are based. I'm considering purchasing a printed
copy of the report from MIT's publications division, but I would like to
know the content in more detail before I decide. Of course any other
information on the report will be appreciated.

Paolo

From: root

If you hear about this outside the ng, could you please post what you find?

Thanks,

Ben

--
Ben Olasov
Programmer/ Analyst

--------------E78F8B332641A320673C75F8

If you hear about this outside the ng, could you please post what you find?
technical report?

<pre>--&nbsp;
Ben Olasov
Programmer/ Analyst
University of California, San Francisco
Department of Medicine Research
3333 California Street
Room 435
San Francisco, CA
USA&nbsp; 94118</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------E78F8B332641A320673C75F8--
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:24:27 -0700, root <ยทยทยทยท@rctbank.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> If you hear about this outside the ng, could you please post what you find?
[...]
> Paolo Amoroso wrote:
[...]
> >   "Presentation Based User Interfaces"
> >   MIT AI Lab TR-794

Sure, but I haven't received any off-group replies yet.

Paolo
From: Christopher C Stacy
Despite the similarity in the names of things, I am not sure how much
the Lisp Machine presentation system (Dynamic Windows, and the follow
on: CLIM) was influenced by ECC's thesis.  You might want to ask ECC
and also Mike McMahon. But here is the abstract for you:

		  Presentation Based User Interfaces
		     Eugene Charles Ciccarelli IV

   A prototype _presentation system base_ is described.  It offers mechanisms, tools, and ready-
   made parts for building user interfaces.  A general user interface model underlies the base,
   organized around the concept of a _presentation_: a visible text of graphic form
   conveying information.  The base and model emphasize domain independance and style
   independance, to apply to the widest possible range of interfaces.

   The _primitive presentation system model_ treats the interface as a system of processes
   maintaining a semantic relation between an _application data base_ and a _presentation data
   base_, the symbolic screen description containing presentations.  A _presenter_ continually
   updates the presentation data base from the application data base.  The user manipulates
   presentations with a _presentation editor_.  A _recognizer_ translates the user's presentation
   manipulation into application data base commands.  The primitive presentation system can be
   extended to model more complex systems by attachnig additional presentation systems.
   In order to illustrate the model's generality and descriptive capabilities, extended model
   structures for several existing user interfaces are discussed.

   The base provides support for building the application and presentation data bases,
   linked together into a single, uniform network, including description of classes of
   objects as well as the objects themselves.  The base provides an initial presentation data base network,
   graphisc to continually redisplay it, and editing functions.  A variety of tols and
   mechanisms help create and control presenters and recognizers.   To demonstraet the base's
   utility, three interfaces to an operating system were constructed, embodying different styles:
   icon, menu, and graphical annotation.