From: Zimmermann Markus
Subject: I need help
I need a lisp compiler because i nedd to program with lisp in my company. so
can anybody say me where i can download such a compiler or can anybody give
me his or her lisp compiler?

markus

From: The Glauber
Subject: Re: I need help
In article <················@SSP1NO25.highway.telekom.at>,
  "Zimmermann Markus" <········@aon.at> wrote:
> I need a lisp compiler because i nedd to program with lisp in my
company. so
> can anybody say me where i can download such a compiler or can
anybody give
> me his or her lisp compiler?

Is Windows ok for you as a platform? If so, look at
http://www.corman.net/CormanLisp.html

Or you can try
http://www.corman.net/PowerLisp.html
for Macintosh,

or http://clisp.sourceforge.net/
for multiple platforms (but interpreter only).

--
Glauber Ribeiro
··········@my-deja.com    http://www.myvehiclehistoryreport.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: David Bakhash
The Glauber <··········@my-deja.com> writes:

> or http://clisp.sourceforge.net/
> for multiple platforms (but interpreter only).

what is "but interpreter only" supposed to mean?

dave
From: Colin Walters
"Zimmermann Markus" <········@aon.at> writes:

> I need a lisp compiler because i nedd to program with lisp in my
> company. so can anybody say me where i can download such a compiler
> or can anybody give me his or her lisp compiler?

CMUCL comes with a really nice compiler.

See http://cmucl.cons.org.

You can download it from there.  You can also give it to other people
who need Lisp compilers.
From: Jonathan Jean-Paul BAILLEUL
Colin Walters wrote:

> "Zimmermann Markus" <········@aon.at> writes:
>
> > I need a lisp compiler because i nedd to program with lisp in my
> > company. so can anybody say me where i can download such a compiler
> > or can anybody give me his or her lisp compiler?
>
> CMUCL comes with a really nice compiler.

I think so. This is a marvellous Lisp developpement environment (running
at lesat under linux/unices), which has the particularity to produce
very fast code.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need help for finding/installing
it.

Jonathan BAILLEUL (········@emi.u-bordeaux.fr)
Maitrise Informatique, Universite Bordeaux I
Currently attending Berkeley Summer Session Courses CS61a/CS3
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <·················@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>,
Jonathan Jean-Paul BAILLEUL  <········@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>[...]

>Do not hesitate to contact me if you need help for finding/installing
>it.

I HAVE a problem with it. I tried to run it unter OpenBSD 2.7's
Linux emulation. When running it, it just allocates *much* memory,
bringing my system almost to a complete halt (much means >= 100 MB).

I used a binary distribution named
  cmucl-20000629.x86.linux.tgz,
4342475 bytes long, which I must have obtained from
  ftp2.cons.org:/pub/languages/lisp/cmucl/binaries.

Regards,

Hannah.
From: Raymond Toy

    Hannah> I HAVE a problem with it. I tried to run it unter OpenBSD
    Hannah> 2.7's Linux emulation. When running it, it just allocates
    Hannah> *much* memory, bringing my system almost to a complete
    Hannah> halt (much means >= 100 MB).

Yes, cmucl want's to allocate a gig of memory or so.  You may want to
get the experimental version with lazy allocation.  This allocates
memory on an as-needed basis.  However, it is experimental and has
problems of its own like what to do when it can't allocate the memory
it thinks should be available.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where this version can be found.

Ray
From: Pierre R. Mai
······@schlund.de (Hannah Schroeter) writes:

> >Do not hesitate to contact me if you need help for finding/installing
> >it.
>
> I HAVE a problem with it. I tried to run it unter OpenBSD 2.7's
> Linux emulation. When running it, it just allocates *much* memory,
> bringing my system almost to a complete halt (much means >= 100 MB).
>
> I used a binary distribution named
>   cmucl-20000629.x86.linux.tgz,
> 4342475 bytes long, which I must have obtained from
>   ftp2.cons.org:/pub/languages/lisp/cmucl/binaries.

Have you tried to use the FreeBSD version of CMUCL?  CMUCL relies
fairly heavily on the exact semantics of signal handling and memory
layout, which are seldomly recreated 100% in emulators, so this could
be the cause of your problem.  Another reason might be that OpenBSD
thinks it needs to actually allocate the memory that CMUCL reserves
via mmap, which would also explain the problem.  In that case getting
the Debian version of CMUCL and using it's -lazy flag might help.  But
on the whole I'd consider going the FreeBSD route...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Espen Vestre
····@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

> Have you tried to use the FreeBSD version of CMUCL?

speaking running FreeBSD lisps on OpenBSD, has anybody tried the FreeBSD
version of ACL 5.0.1 on OpenBSD?
--
  (espen)
From: Xenophon Fenderson the Carbon(d)ated

    Espen> speaking running FreeBSD lisps on OpenBSD, has anybody
    Espen> tried the FreeBSD version of ACL 5.0.1 on OpenBSD?

No, but I have run the FreeBSD version of CMUCL under OpenBSD.  As far
as I know, userspace memory layouts for same architectures among the
*BSDs are very similar, and at least OpenBSD provides COMPAT_* kernel
build options to implement the others' system calls.  In fact, I
didn't have to invoke any special system call emulator (e.g. lxrun on
Solaris/ix86pc, or e.g. em86 on Linux/alpha) to get CMUCL running, on
OpenBSD/i386 2.7 with the GENERIC kernel.

--
> So Americans are either 'bible thumpers' or 'sheep'?
I, personally, am a 'sheep thumper.'
 --Anonymous Coward in http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/07/21/1516215
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <···············@lovecraft.irtnog.org>,
Xenophon Fenderson the Carbon(d)ated <········@irtnog.org> wrote:
>[...]

>No, but I have run the FreeBSD version of CMUCL under OpenBSD.  As far
>as I know, userspace memory layouts for same architectures among the
>*BSDs are very similar, and at least OpenBSD provides COMPAT_* kernel
>build options to implement the others' system calls.  In fact, I
>didn't have to invoke any special system call emulator (e.g. lxrun on
>Solaris/ix86pc, or e.g. em86 on Linux/alpha) to get CMUCL running, on
>OpenBSD/i386 2.7 with the GENERIC kernel.

Could you exactly describe which version of CMUCL, and how you have run
it?

Could you try out this:

cmucl
(defun fib (x) (if (< x 2) x (+ (fib (1- x)) (fib (- x 2)))))
(fib 35)
; without intervening (compile 'fib) !

Regards,

Hannah.
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <··············@orion.bln.pmsf.de>,
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org> wrote:
>[...]

>Have you tried to use the FreeBSD version of CMUCL?  CMUCL relies
>fairly heavily on the exact semantics of signal handling and memory
>layout, which are seldomly recreated 100% in emulators, so this could
>be the cause of your problem.  Another reason might be that OpenBSD
>thinks it needs to actually allocate the memory that CMUCL reserves
>via mmap, which would also explain the problem.  In that case getting
>the Debian version of CMUCL and using it's -lazy flag might help.  But
>on the whole I'd consider going the FreeBSD route...

Yes, I tried it. script output of a example where it fails is below.
I tried with
  cmucl-18b.x86.freebsd22.tgz + cmucl-18b.x86.freebsd22.extra.tgz
as well as with
  cmucl-20000524.x86.freebsd.tgz
with similar problems.

The system was prepared by compiling a kernel with COMPAT_FREEBSD on and
installing /usr/ports/emulators/freebsd_lib.

Regards, Hannah.

(that example works if I (compile 'fib) before invoking it, however,
my real aim is to bootstrap another Lisp, i.e. sbcl, with just *something*
that can do it. Seems whenever a GC is invoked, cmucl/FreeBSD fails)

Script started on Thu Aug  3 15:32:02 2000
······@c3po:~ $ cmucl
CMU Common Lisp 18b, running on c3po
Send questions and bug reports to your local CMU CL maintainer, or to ··········@cons.org. and ·········@cons.org. respectively.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.0, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
* (defun fib (x) (if (< x 2) x (+ (fib (1- x)) (fib (- x 2)))))

FIB
* (fib 35)
[GC threshold exceeded with 2,002,856 bytes in use.  Commencing GC.]
[GC completed with 102,952 bytes retained and 1,899,904 bytes freed.]
[GC will next occur when at least 2,102,952 bytes are in use.]
[GC threshold exceeded with 2,104,728 bytes in use.  Commencing GC.]
Help! 12 nested errors.  KERNEL:*MAXIMUM-ERROR-DEPTH* exceeded.

Debug  (type H for help)

0] quit
(UNIX::SIGSEGV-HANDLER #<unavailable-arg> #<unavailable-arg> #.(SYSTEM:INT-SAP #x500FC984))^C^C^\^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 cmucl
······@c3po:~ $ kill %1
Terminated

[1]+  Stopped                 cmucl
······@c3po:~ $
[1]+  Interrupt               cmucl
······@c3po:~ $
······@c3po:~ $
Script done on Thu Aug  3 15:33:21 2000
From: Fernando Rodr�guez
"Jonathan Jean-Paul BAILLEUL" <········@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu> escribi�
en el mensaje ······················@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu...
> > CMUCL comes with a really nice compiler.
>
> I think so. This is a marvellous Lisp developpement environment (running
> at lesat under linux/unices), which has the particularity to produce
> very fast code.

Do you know if there's someone working on a win32 port? O:-)  Just
wondering...
From: Rainer Joswig

http://www.lisp.org/ gives more information.

--
Rainer Joswig, BU Partner,
ISION Internet AG, Steinh�ft 9, 20459 Hamburg, Germany
From: Martti Halminen
Zimmermann Markus wrote:

> I need a lisp compiler because i nedd to program with lisp in my company. so
> can anybody say me where i can download such a compiler or can anybody give
> me his or her lisp compiler?

A good place to start would be

http://www.lisp.org/table/systems.htm

- Some of the links are to somewhat out-dated places.

You might give a little more detail about what kind of
programming you are talking about, and in what environment.
You should probably check CLISP and CMU-CL regarding the free
versions.

Depending on your needs, environment and budget, commercial
vendors (i.e. they want money for serious commercial use of
their systems :-) you should check are at least
Corman, Digitool, Franz, Symbolics and Xanalys.