From: ············@my-deja.com
Subject: Writing a structure to a file
Hello,

I am using Allegro 5.0.1 in Windows and I am attempting to write a
structure to a file using with-open-file (shown below is a sample of
code).

(with-open-file (filename "C:\\notification-log.txt"
                            :direction :input
                            :if-does-not-exist :create
                            :if-exists :append)
  *** this is where my trouble exists ***
  (format filename "~A" (event-data (cadr request-event-list))))

I have made several attempts using format, write-line, and
write-sequence but these all produce an error similar to:
Error: No methods applicable for generic function
       #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION STREAM-LINE-COLUMN> with args
       (#<EXCL::CHARACTER-INPUT-FILE-STREAM
          #p"C:\\db-notification-log.txt" pos 0 @ #x258e40a2>)
       of classes (EXCL::CHARACTER-INPUT-FILE-STREAM)

This seems odd to me because I am able to use format stand alone to send
the structure to standard-out.
(format nil "~A" (event-data (cadr request-event-list)))

If anyone can give me some advice on how I can accomplish my goal I
would appreciate it.

Thanks
Keith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: Writing a structure to a file
············@my-deja.com writes:

> (with-open-file (filename "C:\\notification-log.txt"
>                             :direction :input ; *** HERE ***
>                             :if-does-not-exist :create
>                             :if-exists :append)
>   *** this is where my trouble exists ***
>   (format filename "~A" (event-data (cadr request-event-list))))

I think that if you're writing to the stream, then it has to have
:direction of :output (or, of course, it could be an input/output stream
:io).

dave
From: ············@my-deja.com
In article <···············@department-of-alchemy.mit.edu>,
  David Bakhash <·····@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> ············@my-deja.com writes:
>
> > (with-open-file (filename "C:\\notification-log.txt"
> >                             :direction :input ; *** HERE ***
> >                             :if-does-not-exist :create
> >                             :if-exists :append)
> >   *** this is where my trouble exists ***
> >   (format filename "~A" (event-data (cadr request-event-list))))
>
> I think that if you're writing to the stream, then it has to have
> :direction of :output (or, of course, it could be an input/output
stream
> :io).
>
> dave

yes, thank-you.
:direction :input
solves all my worries if the day.

From: David Mittman
After taking a quick look, I'd recommend that you use:

  :direction :output

instead of :input.

--
David Mittman, MS 264-767                           ·······@jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Laboratory                           Voice:  818-393-1091
From: Tunc Simsek
Did you mean :direction :output