From: Brendon Caligari
Subject: getting started in lisp
Something possessed me to start looking into lisp

I have a semi-decent maths background and been in programming for 8 years.

Unwilling to post a yet another newbie message i searched the web but came
up with too many loose ends.  Can anybody be kind enough to point me to a
good 'starting point' rather than having to check out a million roads that
lead to a dead end?

Brendon
++++

From: Lars Marius Garshol
Subject: Re: getting started in lisp
* Brendon Caligari

| Something possessed me to start looking into lisp

Good. :-)

| Unwilling to post a yet another newbie message i searched the web
| but came up with too many loose ends.  Can anybody be kind enough to
| point me to a good 'starting point' rather than having to check out
| a million roads that lead to a dead end?

This is the place to start:

--Lars M.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@lambda.garshol.priv.no>, Lars Marius Garshol
<······@garshol.priv.no> wrote:

> * Brendon Caligari
> |
> | Something possessed me to start looking into lisp
>
> Good. :-)
>
> | Unwilling to post a yet another newbie message i searched the web
> | but came up with too many loose ends.  Can anybody be kind enough to
> | point me to a good 'starting point' rather than having to check out
> | a million roads that lead to a dead end?
>
> This is the place to start:

No, this URL is old.
It is now http://www.lisp.org/ .

--
Rainer Joswig, BU Partner,
ISION Internet AG, Steinh�ft 9, 20459 Hamburg, Germany
From: Brendon Caligari
Thanks guys for your help :-)  I will now do a bit of book-shopping and
reading
and I'll prolly be back in a few weeks time

Brendon
++++

········································@news.is-europe.net...
From: Rudolf Schlatte
"Brendon Caligari" <·······@shipreg.com> writes:

> Something possessed me to start looking into lisp
>
> I have a semi-decent maths background and been in programming for 8 years.
>
> Unwilling to post a yet another newbie message i searched the web but came
> up with too many loose ends.  Can anybody be kind enough to point me to a
> good 'starting point' rather than having to check out a million roads that
> lead to a dead end?

For a good introduction into Lisp for the working programmer, read
David Lamkins' book "Successsful Lisp" at
http://psg.com/~dlamkins/left/sl/html/cover.html

For software to look at, check Dan Barlow's CLiki:
http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index

The "canonical" starting point with pointers to articles, software,
etc. is at
http://www.lisp.org/table/contents.htm

Have fun!

Rudi