From: ······@my-deja.com
Subject: Status of LispWorks
Browsing the Xanalys website, I noticed that they were hiring
programmers for various non-Lisp programming languages, and that those
job ads did not even mention Lisp at all.  It makes me wonder what Lisp
means to them at this point.  Do they consider LispWorks to be an old
product which they still maintain because people still use it?  Or do
they have interesting plans for future versions of it?  Does anyone
know how many programmers they have working full time on it, and how
good those programmers are?  Should I worry that I might have to wait
years after the Intel IA64 becomes common for a version of LispWorks
that will work on it?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Fernando Rodr�guez
Subject: Re: Status of LispWorks
<······@my-deja.com> escribi� en el mensaje
·················@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Browsing the Xanalys website, I noticed that they were hiring
> programmers for various non-Lisp programming languages, and that those
> job ads did not even mention Lisp at all.  It makes me wonder what Lisp
> means to them at this point.  Do they consider LispWorks to be an old
> product which they still maintain because people still use it?

I just checked those job postings and yes, it is starnge that there's not
a single mention of Lisp, but I think that Xanalys is the only one that
can answer your question...
From: Mark Watson
Hello,

re: Xanalys not advertising for Lisp programmers:

I would not worry too much about this.  I bet that
they already have many good Lisp programmers.

Also, for business reasons, it looks like they want
to integrate their products more tightly with Windows
(the COM/C++ requirements); we may not agree with that,
but that is their business call.

re: availability of LispWorks on IA64:

It is possible that they may not see this as a firm
business requirement. BTW, LispWorks on a fast P-III
with a half-gig of memory; not good enough? I find
LispWorks support for multiprocessing, socket programming,
etc., etc. to be great. I am satisfied with the product's
support also.

It seems like the Lisp (commercial) community is well
supported by Xanalys and Franz, and there are good free
Common Lisp implementations also, so life is good, right?

-Mark

--
Mark Watson    www.markwatson.com

From: William Deakin
Mark Watson wrote:
> It seems like the Lisp (commercial) community is well
> supported by Xanalys and Franz, and there are good free
> Common Lisp implementations also, so life is good, right?

Yup.

:)will
From: David Fox
······@my-deja.com writes:

> Browsing the Xanalys website, I noticed that they were hiring
> programmers for various non-Lisp programming languages, and that those
> job ads did not even mention Lisp at all.  It makes me wonder what Lisp
> means to them at this point.  Do they consider LispWorks to be an old
> product which they still maintain because people still use it?  Or do
> they have interesting plans for future versions of it?  Does anyone
> know how many programmers they have working full time on it, and how
> good those programmers are?  Should I worry that I might have to wait
> years after the Intel IA64 becomes common for a version of LispWorks
> that will work on it?

Lisp development continues at Xanalys, and patch releases continue for
LispWorks 4.1.x. The next major release will have new editing features
and new CAPI functionality, at least. We cannot commit at this point
to the next release date however.

There are several developers working here on Lisp, and there are
several other developers here using LispWorks. LispWorks is of course
being used for development of existing and new Xanalys applications.

The reason you don't see any jobs advertised for lispers at Xanalys is
that so far we've been able to meet requirements internally, or
without having to advertise. Most of the positions that currently need
filling at Xanalys are in our Intelligence Tools dept. (However, we
are also currently interviewing for Software Tools sales staff.)

Most of the Xanalys Lisp developers and other technical people have
continued here from the Harlequin days. I'd hope the quality of these
staff is well known in the Lisp community, at least our customers will
appreciate the quality of our Lisp products and speedy technical
support.

Sorry for posting what reads almost like an advertisement but you did
ask!

--
Dave Fox                                Email: ·····@xanalys.com
Xanalys Inc, Barrington Hall,             Tel:   +44 1223 873879