From: Glen Foy
Subject: Harlequin Lisp
I'm interested in a Lisp environment for windows and Linux.  The Franz
package is out of reach pricewise.  Are there any Harlequin users who
would care to comment on their systems.

The current Harlequin Professional Edition bundles LispWorks 4.1 with
CLIM 2.0 and unlimited runtimes.  The price for a single end-user
license for the LWW 4.1 Professional Edition is $799.

Thank a heap,

Glen

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Harlequin Lisp
In article <·············@concentric.net>, ········@concentric.net
wrote:

> I'm interested in a Lisp environment for windows and Linux.  The Franz
> package is out of reach pricewise.  Are there any Harlequin users who
> would care to comment on their systems.
>

> The current Harlequin Professional Edition bundles LispWorks 4.1 with
> CLIM 2.0 and unlimited runtimes.  The price for a single end-user
> license for the LWW 4.1 Professional Edition is $799.

So, what was the question? ;-)

Rainer Joswig, ISION Internet AG, Harburger Schlossstrasse 1,
21079 Hamburg, Germany, Tel: +49 40 77175 226
Email: ·············@ision.de , WWW: http://www.ision.de/
From: Glen Foy
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> In article <·············@concentric.net>, ········@concentric.net
> wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in a Lisp environment for windows and Linux.  The Franz
> > package is out of reach pricewise.  Are there any Harlequin users who
> > would care to comment on their systems.
> >

> > The current Harlequin Professional Edition bundles LispWorks 4.1 with
> > CLIM 2.0 and unlimited runtimes.  The price for a single end-user
> > license for the LWW 4.1 Professional Edition is $799.
>
> So, what was the question? ;-)
>
> Rainer Joswig, ISION Internet AG, Harburger Schlossstrasse 1,
> 21079 Hamburg, Germany, Tel: +49 40 77175 226
> Email: ·············@ision.de , WWW: http://www.ision.de/

Hi Rainer,

I guess my post was a bit vague.  I've been working with Macintosh
Common Lisp for a couple of years.  I recall seeing your name in that
context, so you're probably just the person to ask.  I really like MCL,
as most users do, and I guess my question is are they comparable in a
general sort of way...

Some specifics:
Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
Is the environment as tightly integrated as MCL?
Is the compiler ANSI compliant and efficient?
etc, etc

Any info would be appreciated,

Glen
From: Rainer Joswig
wrote:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> I guess my post was a bit vague.  I've been working with Macintosh
> Common Lisp for a couple of years.  I recall seeing your name in that
> context, so you're probably just the person to ask.  I really like MCL,
> as most users do, and I guess my question is are they comparable in a
> general sort of way...
>
> Some specifics:
> Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
> Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
> Is the environment as tightly integrated as MCL?
> Is the compiler ANSI compliant and efficient?
> etc, etc
>
> Any info would be appreciated,

- LispWorks is in some way better structured
- LispWorks has some more tools (and some less)
- LispWorks comes with almost no source (a big minus compared to MCL)
- LispWorks' editor is programmable, but without source
- LispWorks has a lot GUI tools
- LispWorks supports ANSI CL incl. CLOS/MOP

The interface not as slick as MCL's and has some
basic problems (windows are no responding while
they are active ... sigh). LispWorks is larger
and sometimes Windows NT acts like a dog (my
experience).

Rainer Joswig

From: Fernando Mato Mira
Glen Foy wrote:

> Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
> Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?

Who cares?

Xemacs+Harlequin glue+LispWorks
Xemacs+Franz glue+ACL
Xemacs+ILOG glue+Talk
Xemacs+ILISP+`WhateverCL'

Regards,
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira
<········@iname.com> wrote:

> Glen Foy wrote:
>
> > Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
> > Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
>
> Who cares?

Me. For example I don't wan't to use Xemacs. I want
an integrated editor written in Common Lisp. Something
that is available as dialog item in my application, etc.

From: Fernando Mato Mira
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira
> <········@iname.com> wrote:
>
> > Glen Foy wrote:
> >
> > > Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
> > > Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
> >
> > Who cares?
>
> Me. For example I don't wan't to use Xemacs. I want
> an integrated editor written in Common Lisp. Something
> that is available as dialog item in my application, etc.

Touche. Maybe Hemlock is thus useful after all?
From: Espen Vestre
Rainer Joswig <·············@ision.de> writes:

> Me. For example I don't wan't to use Xemacs. I want
> an integrated editor written in Common Lisp. Something
> that is available as dialog item in my application, etc.

I agree.  While I love GNU Emacs (not Xemacs!) and all its features,
MCLs FRED (Fred Resembles Emacs Deliberately) is, while lacking some
of the Emacs goodies, extraordinary fun to program.  I once (in its
still Object Lisp (i.e. not yet CLOS)) days, wrote a data entry program
for social science-type questionairre data based on FRED in just
a few hours, complete with additional windows showing contextual
help information etc.
--
  (espen)
From: Fernando
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:35:56 +0100, Rainer Joswig
<·············@ision.de> wrote:

>In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira
><········@iname.com> wrote:
>
>> Glen Foy wrote:
>>
>> > Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
>> > Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
>>
>> Who cares?
>
>Me. For example I don't wan't to use Xemacs. I want
>an integrated editor written in Common Lisp. Something
>that is available as dialog item in my application, etc.

BTW, do you know how to change the default font for the editor? O:-)

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··································@4ax.com>, Fernando
<·······@must.die> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:35:56 +0100, Rainer Joswig
> <·············@ision.de> wrote:
>
> >In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira
> ><········@iname.com> wrote:

> >> Who cares?
> >
> >Me. For example I don't wan't to use Xemacs. I want
> >an integrated editor written in Common Lisp. Something
> >that is available as dialog item in my application, etc.
>
> BTW, do you know how to change the default font for the editor? O:-)

Good question. I don't have LWW handy to answer that question:
Unfortunately ;- my current Lisp systems looks like this:

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/symbolics-images/mac-ivory-3-lcd-3.jpg
http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/symbolics-images/mac-ivory-3-lcd-4.jpg

So, *currently* no LWW hacking.

From: Robert Monfera
Fernando wrote:

> BTW, do you know how to change the default font for the editor? O:-)

A few months ago there was a post explaining how to change background
color (maybe font attributes too).

Here's an example:

(setf capi:*editor-highlight-style*
      (list :background :navyblue :foreground :white
;            (color:make-rgb 0.8 0.8 0.8)
            ))

Ask Xanalys or use apropos :-)

Robert
From: Fernando
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:39:31 -0500, Robert Monfera <·······@fisec.com>
wrote:

>Fernando wrote:
>
>> BTW, do you know how to change the default font for the editor? O:-)
>
>A few months ago there was a post explaining how to change background
>color (maybe font attributes too).

Here it is:

(gp:define-font-alias :editor-pane-default-font
(gp:gf nil "Andale Mono" nil :roman 10))

Aaahhhh... much better now. ;-)

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: Arthur Lemmens
Fernando wrote:

> BTW, do you know how to change the default font for the editor? O:-)

That question is answered in the Harlequin Common Lisp Knowledgebase
at http://services.harlequin.com/support/lisp/kbase.nsf.
Look for ID 10024 under 'Common Lispworks environment'.

Arthur
From: Glen Foy
Fernando Mato Mira wrote:

> Glen Foy wrote:
>
> > Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
> > Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
>
> Who cares?
>
> Xemacs+Harlequin glue+LispWorks
> Xemacs+Franz glue+ACL
> Xemacs+ILOG glue+Talk
> Xemacs+ILISP+`WhateverCL'
>
> Regards,

It is extremely useful to have the Lisp source code of your editor.  All
sorts of homebrewed utilities are possible ...
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Clemens Heitzinger wrote:

> Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
>
> > Glen Foy wrote:
> >
> > > Is the Harlequin editor a programmable EMACS style editor?
> > > Is the source code for the editor and user interface available?
> >
> > Who cares?
> >
> > Xemacs+Harlequin glue+LispWorks
>
> Which Harlequin glue do you mean?  URL?

Well, LW 3.x doesn't run on IRIX 6.x so I deleted it from my hard disk,
My memory probably failed there. So ILISP.

Regards,