From: ··········@my-deja.com
Subject: Lisp and scheme on Linux/BSD/Emacs
I would like to know what resources are available on linux for running
the lisp and its other dialects.

Emacs has a number of commands which are not available but are
documented, such as:

run-scheme Command: Run an inferior Scheme process, input and output
via buffer *scheme*.  scheme-mode Command: Major mode for editing
Scheme code.

How do we get these in our system to run?

So I want one simple example of scheme commands and compilation in
emacs.  The Redhat version 5.2 has a man page on scheme, but no
executable.

For example the scheme command

(define size 5)

does not run in emacs.

When I type run-scheme, it says in the minibuffer:

Searching for program: no such file or directory, scheme

Where do I get a complete suite of such software, ie which unix
distribution has it?  Is it BSD? Is it RH6.2? Is it the Debian
distribution?

Which of these will do the job?

Are there work arounds around scheme for the time being?
Can one do a one-to-one mapping from lisp/elisp to scheme?

Thanks for your help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Hrvoje Blazevic
Subject: Re: Lisp and scheme on Linux/BSD/Emacs
··········@my-deja.com wrote:

> I would like to know what resources are available on linux for running
> the lisp and its other dialects.
>
> Emacs has a number of commands which are not available but are
> documented, such as:
>
> run-scheme Command: Run an inferior Scheme process, input and output
> via buffer *scheme*.  scheme-mode Command: Major mode for editing
> Scheme code.
>
> How do we get these in our system to run?
>
> So I want one simple example of scheme commands and compilation in
> emacs.  The Redhat version 5.2 has a man page on scheme, but no
> executable.
>
> For example the scheme command
>
> (define size 5)
>
> does not run in emacs.
>
> When I type run-scheme, it says in the minibuffer:
>
> Searching for program: no such file or directory, scheme
>
> Where do I get a complete suite of such software, ie which unix
> distribution has it?  Is it BSD? Is it RH6.2? Is it the Debian
> distribution?
>
> Which of these will do the job?
>
> Are there work arounds around scheme for the time being?
> Can one do a one-to-one mapping from lisp/elisp to scheme?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

RH-linux has an option to install umb-scheme, but you must choose it.
I'm not sure about this (as I don't use RH any more) but umb-scheme used
to install its executable as `scheme' (a name which is reserved for
MIT-scheme :-)). Lately, apparently RH installs it as umb-scheme, but
the manual page may still be listed as scheme.

However note that although umb-scheme is a nice interpreter to get
started with, it will not let you work through serious books (like SAP,
where you won't be able to run test examples for sorting -- among other
thins) It is also very slow.

You would do better to download one of the other implementations from
the web (i use either scheme48, or MzScheme), and edit your .emacs file
to start one of those.