From: Jajwuth
Subject: functional program
Could anybody suggest a reference for the process of functional  programming. I
would also like to read about bottom up programming.
Al

From: Bruce Tobin
Subject: Re: functional program
Jajwuth wrote:

> Could anybody suggest a reference for the process of functional  programming. I
> would also like to read about bottom up programming.
> Al

For the latter, try "On Lisp" by John Graham.  Supposed to be out of
print, but my local bookstore (Micro Center in Columbus, OH) has a copy
or two.
From: Dave Pearson
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:38:35 GMT, Bruce Tobin <······@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Jajwuth wrote:
>
> > Could anybody suggest a reference for the process of functional
> > programming. I would also like to read about bottom up programming. Al
>
> For the latter, try "On Lisp" by John Graham.

ITYM Pail Graham.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: | festival.jl - Make sawmill talk.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |  keydrag.jl - Drag windows from keyboard.
From: Dave Pearson
On 19 Jan 2000 09:44:25 GMT, Dave Pearson <··········@davep.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:38:35 GMT, Bruce Tobin <······@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > For the latter, try "On Lisp" by John Graham.
>
> ITYM Pail Graham.

<oops> Or even Paul Graham. </oops>

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: | boxquote.el - "Boxed" text quoting.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |  sawmill.el - Sawmill mode.
From: John Watton
In article <·················@columbus.rr.com>,
  Bruce Tobin <······@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> For the latter, try "On Lisp" by John Graham.  Supposed to be out of
> print, but my local bookstore (Micro Center in Columbus, OH) has a
copy
> or two.

It's Paul Graham and amazon.com can ship it in 24 hours so it can't be
terribly out of print.

--
John Watton
Alcoa Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Hartmann Schaffer
> For the latter, try "On Lisp" by John Graham.  Supposed to be out of
> print, but my local bookstore (Micro Center in Columbus, OH) has a copy
> or two.

it was supposed to be out of print when i hpt my copy (late in the last
millenion, and i had no problems at all.  where is this rumor comong from?

--

Hartmann Schaffer

It is better to fill your days with life than your life with days
From: Johan Kullstam
·······@aol.com (Jajwuth) writes:

> Could anybody suggest a reference for the process of functional
> programming. I would also like to read about bottom up programming.

since no one has recommended it this time, how about peter norvig's
excellent treatice _paradigms of artificial intelligence
programming_ (often abbreviated here as PAIP).

paul graham's _on lisp_, while i think it's a great book, is more
about lisp macro construction than functional programming.

if i had to recommend one over the other, i think i would choose PAIP
as the more useful text.  it has more example of using lisp.  _on
lisp_ is more of a catalog of useful tricks.

you might want to look at both and decide which suits you better -- or
you might want to get both.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[········@ne.mediaone.net]