From: Matthew Economou
Subject: OS architecture of the LispMs?
Is there any documentation that describes one of the LispOSes, in a
way similar to how Maurice Bach's _Design of the UNIX Operating
System_ (or the Lions book) describes UNIX?  I have some questions
about how virtual memory and the GC and the type system all
interacted, and about how processes (or threads) were handled, and how
multiple users were supported (if at all).  These questions are
probably best answered by some kind of book or paper on the design of
InterLisp or Lisp Machine Lisp, but I haven't had much luck in finding
the kind of information I'm looking for (e.g. all the papers I've
found on GC algorithms and implementations make no mention of
integrating the GC with the virtual memory subsystem of the operating
system; I have found at least one paper that describes the Chez Scheme
type system, which stores some GC information in the BIBOP type
tables).

I don't have a working LispM to experiment with, and the architectural
information I can find has in-depth descriptions of microcode---a
little too low-level.  Would someone point me in the right direction?

--
"What though the field be lost? / All is not lost; the unconquerable Will,
 And study of revenge, immortal hate, / And courage never to submit or yield."
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: OS architecture of the LispMs?
In article <···············@nemesis.irtnog.org>,
Matthew Economou  <········@irtnog.org> wrote:
>Is there any documentation that describes one of the LispOSes, in a
>way similar to how Maurice Bach's _Design of the UNIX Operating
>System_ (or the Lions book) describes UNIX?

There's nothing comprehensive like that, but papers discussing various
features of the hardware and OS were presented at a number of conferences
in the 80's, and you should be able to find them in the proceedings.  Check
the ACM L&FP and ASPLOS conferences, as well as IEEE conferences.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com