From: Jajwuth
Subject: learning lisp
I have a couple of books on lisp but i find it difficult to learn. There seems
to be so few commands. Are you suppose to make up your own functions. For
instance if i want to elimnate words of 3 letters or less from a character
string (words in a list) how would i do it.

What i would like to do is to eliminate non essential word from text without
chnging the meaning for me.
Al
From: Robert Monfera
Subject: Re: learning lisp
Jajwuth wrote:

> I have a couple of books on lisp but i find it difficult to learn. There seems
> to be so few commands. Are you suppose to make up your own functions. For
> instance if i want to elimnate words of 3 letters or less from a character
> string (words in a list) how would i do it.

Split the text to words according to the delimiter (space), remove short
words and put together the results.

Alternatively, for faster operation, you may work on the string as a
vector of characters, maintaining a pointer that points to the first
letter of the word being processed and a second pointer moving from the
first towards the last character, overwriting the word with the rest of
the string if it is short.  After processing all words from left to
right, eliminate as many characters from the string as you overwrote to
reflect the shortening of the string.

> What i would like to do is to eliminate non essential word from text without
> chnging the meaning for me.

Maybe a dictionary-based approach would be appropriate?

"What would like eliminate essential word from text without
chnging the meaning."

Robert