From: Jajwuth
Subject: data lists
if input data is in the form of lists for a lisp program can raw data be put
into a list so it is compatable to the list program (like text). I assume there
is commands within lisp to accomplish this.
Al

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: data lists
In article <·····························@nso-fz.aol.com>,
Jajwuth <·······@aol.com> wrote:
>if input data is in the form of lists for a lisp program can raw data be put
>into a list so it is compatable to the list program (like text). I assume there
>is commands within lisp to accomplish this.

A list can contain objects of any type.  Text is usually represented as
strings, and strings can be elements of a list, e.g.

("This" "list has" "3 elements")

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: ArolAmbler
Lisp does not store all data in lists, except for "toy" lisps.

Common Lisp has multi-dimentsional arrays of things.
The things can themselves be other arrays, or any of the
other things below.

complex numbers (of at least 5 froms)

floating point numbers (of 4 precsions)

rational numbers (fractions, which compute exactly)

integers (of nearly arbitrary length,
with so many digits you will need a program to count the
digits)

bitvectors (also, integers and be used "like" bitvectors)

characters

strings (of adjustable sizes, of characters of several kinds, so
that wide characters needed for international applications are
normally supported, as well as "ascii" or "7-bit ascii subset"
characters - not speced that way in the standard, but quite flexible)

hash tables (three kinds)

symbols   (the variables and function names of the language,
                  but with other purposes and uses as well)

packages  (used for construction of large modules of independently
                    written code, so the various "global" names of
                   functions, classes, types, constants, etc. do not conflict)
(but packages also have other uses)

readtable   (used to control how the reader works, as the reader
                   is very flexible)
                   Although it is not "trivial", in a half-day, or less, a
                   readtable could be made that would read FORTRAN,
                   and the resuult would be lisp, with the same meaning,
                   nearly.

class