From: Larry Elmore
Subject: CMUCL on Mandrake Linux 6.1
I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new Mandrake
Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig' and
then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a shared
library because '__setfpucw' was undefined. I'm guessing I've got a problem
with incompatible library versions. Unfortunately, it appears that one must
have a working CMUCL binary in order to compile a new CMUCL from source. So
now what?

I looked at Franz' Allegro CL for Linux (I've been learning Lisp on their
most excellent Windows implementation) and it's compiled under Redhat 5.2,
so I'm guessing there'll be library problems there, as well? This sucks...

Larry

From: ·······@my-deja.com
Subject: Re: CMUCL on Mandrake Linux 6.1 (solution to __setfpucw problem on Linux)
In article <············@news.campuscwix.net>,
  "Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> wrote:
> I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new
Mandrake
> Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig'
and
> then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a
shared
> library because '__setfpucw' was undefined. I'm guessing I've got a
problem
> with incompatible library versions. Unfortunately, it appears that one
must
> have a working CMUCL binary in order to compile a new CMUCL from
source. So
> now what?

The problem is easy to fix; from memory, here is what I did:

 -- Create a C file that contains a function definition with that
    name; the function doesn't have to do anything.

 -- Compile it into a shared library (use the "--shared" flag
    with gcc).

 -- Set the "LD_PRELOAD" environment variable to the shared
    library you just created.

You can now start up CMU CommonLisp.  It will simply call the
empty stub function in your mini library.

Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Larry Elmore
<·······@my-deja.com> wrote in message ·················@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <············@news.campuscwix.net>,
>   "Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> wrote:
> > I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new
> Mandrake
> > Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig'
> and
> > then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a
> shared
> > library because '__setfpucw' was undefined. I'm guessing I've got a
> problem
> > with incompatible library versions. Unfortunately, it appears that one
> must
> > have a working CMUCL binary in order to compile a new CMUCL from
> source. So
> > now what?
>
> The problem is easy to fix; from memory, here is what I did:
>
>  -- Create a C file that contains a function definition with that
>     name; the function doesn't have to do anything.
>
>  -- Compile it into a shared library (use the "--shared" flag
>     with gcc).
>
>  -- Set the "LD_PRELOAD" environment variable to the shared
>     library you just created.
>
> You can now start up CMU CommonLisp.  It will simply call the
> empty stub function in your mini library.

Interesting. Thanks!

Larry
From: Pierre R. Mai
Subject: Re: CMUCL on Mandrake Linux 6.1
"Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> writes:

> I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new Mandrake
> Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig' and
> then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a shared
> library because '__setfpucw' was undefined. I'm guessing I've got a problem
> with incompatible library versions. Unfortunately, it appears that one must
> have a working CMUCL binary in order to compile a new CMUCL from source. So
> now what?

Try to get current versions of the Debian packages for CMUCL (from the
unstable distribution in the development section, see
http://www.debian.org/ for mirrors), and convert them with alien to
rpm's, then install.  This should work ok.

> I looked at Franz' Allegro CL for Linux (I've been learning Lisp on their
> most excellent Windows implementation) and it's compiled under Redhat 5.2,
> so I'm guessing there'll be library problems there, as well? This sucks...

Not necessarily.  The __setfpucw problem only afflicts programs linked
against glibc2.0 which used this "undocumented" interface, which went
away in glibc2.1.  If ACL didn't use __setfpucw, then it will more
likely run with glibc2.1

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: cor gest jr
····@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

> "Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> writes:
>
> > I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new Mandrake
> > Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig' and
> > then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a shared
> > library because '__setfpucw' was undefined. I'm guessing I've got a problem
> > with incompatible library versions. Unfortunately, it appears that one must
> > have a working CMUCL binary in order to compile a new CMUCL from source. So
> > now what?
>
> Try to get current versions of the Debian packages for CMUCL (from the
> unstable distribution in the development section, see
> http://www.debian.org/ for mirrors), and convert them with alien to
> rpm's, then install.  This should work ok.
>
> > I looked at Franz' Allegro CL for Linux (I've been learning Lisp on their
> > most excellent Windows implementation) and it's compiled under Redhat 5.2,
> > so I'm guessing there'll be library problems there, as well? This sucks...
>
> Not necessarily.  The __setfpucw problem only afflicts programs linked
> against glibc2.0 which used this "undocumented" interface, which went
> away in glibc2.1.  If ACL didn't use __setfpucw, then it will more
> likely run with glibc2.1

Nope, it will not run under Glib-2.1.2 either, same err-message on starting Lisp.

But I'll try the debian-source.

cor

--
/* If GNU/LINUX has no solution...then you have the problem */
/* Never install Slackware........You might learn something */
From: Larry Elmore
"Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote in message
···················@orion.dent.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de...
> "Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> writes:
>
> > I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new
Mandrake
> > Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig'
and
> > then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a
shared
> > library because '__setfpucw' was undefined. I'm guessing I've got a
problem
> > with incompatible library versions. Unfortunately, it appears that one
must
> > have a working CMUCL binary in order to compile a new CMUCL from source.
So
> > now what?
>
> Try to get current versions of the Debian packages for CMUCL (from the
> unstable distribution in the development section, see
> http://www.debian.org/ for mirrors), and convert them with alien to
> rpm's, then install.  This should work ok.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no luck. 'alien' reports:
    error in tar: control: not found in archive   (or something close to
that, anyway)
when it's scanning the .deb package, and then quits after doing a little bit
more. I need to dig some more -- sigh...

As an aside, while looking for 'alien' I found a webpage _guaranteed_ to
cause a BSOD with NT4/SP6 and IE5 (at least my installation of it, anyway)
at http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/ I've never seen that before. It
certainly slowed down my search...

Larry
From: Pierre R. Mai
"Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> writes:

> > Try to get current versions of the Debian packages for CMUCL (from the
> > unstable distribution in the development section, see
> > http://www.debian.org/ for mirrors), and convert them with alien to
> > rpm's, then install.  This should work ok.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no luck. 'alien' reports:
>     error in tar: control: not found in archive   (or something close to
> that, anyway)
> when it's scanning the .deb package, and then quits after doing a little bit
> more. I need to dig some more -- sigh...

Hmmm, I thought that all mirrors/versions of cmucl that caused these
problems had vanished by now...  it seems not.

Anyway you don't really need alien to unpack the debian cmucl
packages, since debian packages are really only ar archives with two
tar.gz archives, one with the bare files and one with the control
information.  So to unpack a debian archive's files, just issue as
root:

ar p cmucl-blablabla.deb data.tar.gz | tar xvzfC - /

With packages like the cmucl packages, which don't include much
packaging trickery, this usually works without many problems...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Larry Elmore
"Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote in message
···················@orion.dent.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de...
> "Larry Elmore" <········@montana.campuscw.net> writes:
>
> > > Try to get current versions of the Debian packages for CMUCL (from the
> > > unstable distribution in the development section, see
> > > http://www.debian.org/ for mirrors), and convert them with alien to
> > > rpm's, then install.  This should work ok.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no luck. 'alien' reports:
> >     error in tar: control: not found in archive   (or something close to
> > that, anyway)
> > when it's scanning the .deb package, and then quits after doing a little
bit
> > more. I need to dig some more -- sigh...
>
> Hmmm, I thought that all mirrors/versions of cmucl that caused these
> problems had vanished by now...  it seems not.
>
> Anyway you don't really need alien to unpack the debian cmucl
> packages, since debian packages are really only ar archives with two
> tar.gz archives, one with the bare files and one with the control
> information.  So to unpack a debian archive's files, just issue as
> root:
>
> ar p cmucl-blablabla.deb data.tar.gz | tar xvzfC - /
>
> With packages like the cmucl packages, which don't include much
> packaging trickery, this usually works without many problems...

It worked! Although I did end up moving the deb packages to / and performing
the operation there because I couldn't tar to accept the 'C - /' part of the
option string (it would tell me that C is not an archive?). I'm not sure
what's up with that. But I did get CMUCL installed and running! Now I need
to print out the docs and read them. Thanks!

Larry
From: Bill&Virginia Hodges
Larry Elmore wrote:

> "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote in message
> ···················@orion.dent.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de...

> > > Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no luck. 'alien' reports:
> > >     error in tar: control: not found in archive   (or something close to
> > > that, anyway)
> > > when it's scanning the .deb package, and then quits after doing a little
> bit
> > > more. I need to dig some more -- sigh...
> >
> > Hmmm, I thought that all mirrors/versions of cmucl that caused these
> > problems had vanished by now...  it seems not.
> >
> > Anyway you don't really need alien to unpack the debian cmucl
> > packages, since debian packages are really only ar archives with two
> > tar.gz archives, one with the bare files and one with the control
> > information.  So to unpack a debian archive's files, just issue as
> > root:
> >
> > ar p cmucl-blablabla.deb data.tar.gz | tar xvzfC - /
> >
> > With packages like the cmucl packages, which don't include much
> > packaging trickery, this usually works without many problems...
>
> It worked! Although I did end up moving the deb packages to / and performing
> the operation there because I couldn't tar to accept the 'C - /' part of the
> option string (it would tell me that C is not an archive?). I'm not sure
> what's up with that. But I did get CMUCL installed and running! Now I need
> to print out the docs and read them. Thanks!
>
> Larry

--------------
I tried to do the same thing on a Mandrage 6.1 and only get the following
segmentation error.
What did I leave out?
Bill

---------------------------
[····@hodges /]# ar p ~hodges/cmucl_2.4.17.deb data.tar.gz |tar xzf -
[····@hodges /]# exit
exit
[······@hodges hodges]$ cd
[······@hodges hodges]$ which lisp
/usr/bin/lisp
[······@hodges hodges]$ lisp
Segmentation fault
[······@hodges hodges]$ gdb lisp
GNU gdb 4.18
This GDB was configured as "i386-mandrake-linux"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/lisp
(no debugging symbols found)...
0x37ffefff in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x37ffefff in ?? ()
#1  0x8050ca0 in sigreturn () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#2  0x804dd38 in strcpy () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#3  0x804dda6 in strcpy () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#4  0x804a914 in strcpy () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#5  0x2ab034a5 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
#6  0xe85314ec in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x83e58955.
(gdb) exit
Undefined command: "exit".  Try "help".
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
[······@hodges hodges]$
From: Pierre R. Mai
Bill&Virginia Hodges <······@oz.net> writes:

> I tried to do the same thing on a Mandrage 6.1 and only get the following
> segmentation error.
> What did I leave out?
> Bill
>
> ---------------------------
> [····@hodges /]# ar p ~hodges/cmucl_2.4.17.deb data.tar.gz |tar xzf -

Since version 2.4.15 at least, the cmucl package has been split into a
number of packages, containing different parts of the cmucl
environment.  The cmucl package only contains the initial loader
program (/usr/bin/lisp), and the usual environment (documentation, man
pages, site-init files, configure script (/usr/sbin/cmuclconfig)).
You also need a lisp image, where you can choose from cmucl-safe
(which contains patches from Peter Van Eynde to catch additional
errors) and cmucl-small (which is quite a bit smaller than the -safe
or other images), and in the future probably something like
cmucl-fast...

So you need to unpack either cmucl-small or cmucl-fast as well.  It is
unfortunate that the error message generated by a missing image file
is not very intuitive (OTOH, on Debian the package manager will ensure
that you install either cmucl-small or cmucl-fast as well, so Debian
users will not come across this problem).

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Bill&Virginia Hodges
"Pierre R. Mai" wrote:

> Bill&Virginia Hodges <······@oz.net> writes:
>
> > I tried to do the same thing on a Mandrage 6.1 and only get the following
> > segmentation error.
> > What did I leave out?
> > Bill
> >
> > ---------------------------
> > [····@hodges /]# ar p ~hodges/cmucl_2.4.17.deb data.tar.gz |tar xzf -
>
> Since version 2.4.15 at least, the cmucl package has been split into a
> number of packages, containing different parts of the cmucl
> environment.  The cmucl package only contains the initial loader
> program (/usr/bin/lisp), and the usual environment (documentation, man
> pages, site-init files, configure script (/usr/sbin/cmuclconfig)).
> You also need a lisp image, where you can choose from cmucl-safe
> (which contains patches from Peter Van Eynde to catch additional
> errors) and cmucl-small (which is quite a bit smaller than the -safe
> or other images), and in the future probably something like
> cmucl-fast...
>
> So you need to unpack either cmucl-small or cmucl-fast as well.  It is
> unfortunate that the error message generated by a missing image file
> is not very intuitive (OTOH, on Debian the package manager will ensure
> that you install either cmucl-small or cmucl-fast as well, so Debian
> users will not come across this problem).
>
> Regs, Pierre.
>
> --
> Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
>   "One smaller motivation which, in part, stems from altruism is Microsoft-
>    bashing." [Microsoft memo, see http://www.opensource.org/halloween1.html]

I did it and still no prize - please see the following - did I do it right
[····@hodges hodges]# ar p ~hodges/cmucl-safe_2.4.17.deb data.tar.gz |tar xvzf
-
./
./usr/
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/cmucl/
./usr/lib/cmucl/lisp-safe.core
./usr/lib/menu/
./usr/lib/menu/cmucl-safe
./usr/share/
./usr/share/doc/
./usr/share/doc/cmucl-safe/
./usr/share/doc/cmucl-safe/copyright
./usr/share/doc/cmucl-safe/changelog.gz
#0  0x37ffefff in ?? ()
#1  0x8050ca0 in sigreturn () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#2  0x804dd38 in strcpy () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#3  0x804dda6 in strcpy () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#4  0x804a914 in strcpy () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#5  0x2ab034a5 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
#6  0xe85314ec in ?? ()
From: Pierre R. Mai
Bill&Virginia Hodges <······@oz.net> writes:

> > So you need to unpack either cmucl-small or cmucl-fast as well.  It is
> > unfortunate that the error message generated by a missing image file
> > is not very intuitive (OTOH, on Debian the package manager will ensure
> > that you install either cmucl-small or cmucl-fast as well, so Debian
> > users will not come across this problem).
>
> I did it and still no prize - please see the following - did I do it right

Two things you might want to look into:

- Did you really unpack in the root directory?
- You probably need to either run /usr/sbin/cmuclconfig as root, or
  create a symbolic link from /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp-safe.core to
  /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core (as root):

  ln -s /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp-safe.core /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core

Sorry that I didn't mention this in earlier posts, but this changed
only in recent versions of CMUCL (and I use Debian anyway ;)...

Hope this helps ...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Gareth Jones
····@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

> Two things you might want to look into:
>
> - Did you really unpack in the root directory?

I had the same problems.  Is there no way of running the new version
anywhere else?  I've tried CMUCLLIB and -core but it still segfaults
in strcpy.  The old cmucl-2.4.5-2.tar.gz works with -core and gives an
error message if lisp.core is missing which seems preferable behaviour
if this segfault is due to a missing lisp.core.

--
Gareth Jones      ISE4

What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.
S. Johnson
From: Pierre R. Mai
····@doc.ic.ac.uk (Gareth Jones) writes:

> ····@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai) writes:
>
> > Two things you might want to look into:
> >
> > - Did you really unpack in the root directory?
>
> I had the same problems.  Is there no way of running the new version
> anywhere else?  I've tried CMUCLLIB and -core but it still segfaults
> in strcpy.  The old cmucl-2.4.5-2.tar.gz works with -core and gives an
> error message if lisp.core is missing which seems preferable behaviour
> if this segfault is due to a missing lisp.core.

It seems that I misdiagnosed the problem:  The seg-fault is not being
caused by a missing lisp.core.  I'm still at a loss as to what the
cause of the seg-fault is, and I haven't got the time at the moment to
look into it more deeply.  If the people who are having problems could
post info on the libraries and kernel versions on their system
(ldd /usr/bin/lisp and uname -a), I could forward this to the CMU CL
developers mailing list, to see if someone has any ideas...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Bill&Virginia Hodges
I am unpacking the following two files at /:
-rw-rw-r--    1 hodges   hodges    8064036 Jan  9 20:12
cmucl-safe_2.4.17.deb
-rw-rw-r--    1 hodges   hodges    2179224 Jan  7 14:57 cmucl_2.4.17.deb

on a Mnadrake 6.1 system where:

[······@hodges hodges]$ !1006
uname -a
Linux hodges.oz.net 2.2.13-7mdk #4 Sun Nov 7 16:13:55 PST 1999 i686
unknown
[······@hodges hodges]$ !1005
ldd /usr/bin/lisp
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x2aab5000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x2aab8000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x2aad6000)

[····@hodges cmucl]# ldconfig -v
ldconfig: version 1999-02-21
/usr/X11R6/lib:
        libx11amp.so.0 => libx11amp.so.0.9.0
        libglut.so.3 => libglut.so.3.7
        libMesaGLU.so.3 => libMesaGLU.so.3.1
        libXaw3d.so.6 => libXaw3d.so.6.1
        libMesaGL.so.3 => libMesaGL.so.3.1
        libXpm.so.4 => libXpm.so.4.11
        libfont.so.1 => libfont.so.1.2
        libXtst.so.6 => libXtst.so.6.1
        libXt.so.6 => libXt.so.6.0
        libXmu.so.6 => libXmu.so.6.0
        libXp.so.6 => libXp.so.6.2
        libXext.so.6 => libXext.so.6.3
        libXaw.so.6 => libXaw.so.6.1
        libXIE.so.6 => libXIE.so.6.0
        libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
        libXi.so.6 => libXi.so.6.0
        libSM.so.6 => libSM.so.6.0
        libPEX5.so.6 => libPEX5.so.6.0
        libICE.so.6 => libICE.so.6.3
        libMagick.so.4 => libMagick.so.4.0.28
/usr/lib:
        libgtop_sysdeps-1.1.so.0 => libgtop_sysdeps-1.1.so.0.0.1
        libgtop_suid_common-1.1.so.0 => libgtop_suid_common-1.1.so.0.0.1

        libgtop_names-1.1.so.0 => libgtop_names-1.1.so.0.0.1
        libgtop_guile_names-1.1.so.0 => libgtop_guile_names-1.1.so.0.0.1

        libgtop_guile-1.1.so.0 => libgtop_guile-1.1.so.0.0.1
        libopcodes-2.9.1.0.25.so => libopcodes-2.9.1.0.25.so
        liba2ps.so.1 => liba2ps.so.1.0.0
        libgnat-3.11p.so.1 => libgnat-3.11p.so.1.14
        libasis-3.11p.so.1 => libasis-3.11p.so.1.14
        libtk8.0.so => libtk8.0.so
        libtixsam4.1.8.0.so => libtixsam4.1.8.0.so
        libtix4.1.8.0.so => libtix4.1.8.0.so
        libtkx8.0.4.so => libtkx8.0.4.so
        libtclx8.0.4.so => libtclx8.0.4.so
        libtcl8.0.so => libtcl8.0.so
        libxmms.so.0 => libxmms.so.0.9.0
        libvgagl.so.1 => libvgagl.so.1.4.0
        libvga.so.1 => libvga.so.1.4.0
        libaa.so.1 => libaa.so.1.0.3
        libqimgio.so.0 => libqimgio.so.0.1
        libpq++.so.2.0 => libpq++.so.2.0
        libpgtcl.so.2.0 => libpgtcl.so.2.0
        libpisock.so.3 => libpisock.so.3.0.1
        libecpg.so.2.6.2 => libecpg.so.2.6.2
        libpq.so.2.0 => libpq.so.2.0
        libpq++.so.3.0 => libpq++.so.3.0
        libecpg.so.3.0.0 => libecpg.so.3.0.0
        libORBitutil.so.0 => libORBitutil.so.0.4.93
        libORBitCosNaming.so.0 => libORBitCosNaming.so.0.4.93
        libORBit.so.0 => libORBit.so.0.4.93
        libIIOP.so.0 => libIIOP.so.0.4.93
        libIDL-0.6.so.0 => libIDL-0.6.so.0.4.4
        libgnomeprint.so.1 => libgnomeprint.so.1.0.0
        libmikmod.so.1 => libmikmod.so.1.0.1
        librle.so.1 => librle.so.1.0.0
        libppm.so.1 => libppm.so.1.0.0
        libpnm.so.1 => libpnm.so.1.0.0
        libpgm.so.1 => libpgm.so.1.0.0
        libpbm.so.1 => libpbm.so.1.0.0
        libfbm.so.1 => libfbm.so.1.0.0
        libgtop_common-1.1.so.0 => libgtop_common-1.1.so.0.0.1
        libgtop-1.1.so.0 => libgtop-1.1.so.0.0.1
        libglade.so.0 => libglade.so.0.1.0
        libglade-gnome.so.0 => libglade-gnome.so.0.1.0
        libghttp.so.1 => libghttp.so.1.0.0
        libkdlgloader.so.1 => libkdlgloader.so.1.0.0
        libpuke.so.0 => libpuke.so.0.0.1
        libmediatool.so.2 => libmediatool.so.2.0.0
        libkspell.so.2 => libkspell.so.2.0.0
        libkimgio.so.2 => libkimgio.so.2.0.0
        libbfd-2.9.1.0.25.so => libbfd-2.9.1.0.25.so
        libnewt.so.0.40 => libnewt.so.0.40
        libtiff.so.3 => libtiff.so.3.4
        libpng.so.2 => libpng.so.2.1.0.3
        libuulib.so.5 => libuulib.so.5.0.13
        libmimelib.so.1 => libmimelib.so.1.0.0
        libjs.so.0 => libjs.so.0.2.0
        libQwSpriteField.so.1 => libQwSpriteField.so.1.5.0
        libjpeg.so.62 => libjpeg.so.62.0.0
        libungif.so.4 => libungif.so.4.1.0
        libungif.so.3 => libungif.so.3.1.0
        libqt.so.1 => libqt.so.1.44
        libstdc++.so.2.9 => libstdc++.so.2.9.0
        libstdc++.so.2.8 => libstdc++.so.2.8.0
        libstdc++.so.2.7.2 => libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
        libg++.so.2.7.2 => libg++.so.2.7.2.8
        libkhtmlw.so.2 => libkhtmlw.so.2.0.0
        libkfm.so.2 => libkfm.so.2.0.0
        libkfile.so.2 => libkfile.so.2.0.0
        libkdeui.so.2 => libkdeui.so.2.0.0
        libkdecore.so.2 => libkdecore.so.2.0.0
        libkab.so.2 => libkab.so.2.0.0
        libjscript.so.2 => libjscript.so.2.0.0
        libutempter.so.0 => libutempter.so.0.5
        libimlib-xpm.so => libimlib-xpm.so
        libimlib-tiff.so => libimlib-tiff.so
        libimlib-ps.so => libimlib-ps.so
        libimlib-ppm.so => libimlib-ppm.so
        libimlib-png.so => libimlib-png.so
        libimlib-jpeg.so => libimlib-jpeg.so
        libimlib-gif.so => libimlib-gif.so
        libimlib-bmp.so => libimlib-bmp.so
        libgdk_imlib.so.1 => libgdk_imlib.so.1.9.5
        libImlib.so.1 => libImlib.so.1.9.5
        libguile.so.4 => libguile.so.4.0.0
        libgtk.so.1 => libgtk.so.1.0.6
        libgdk.so.1 => libgdk.so.1.0.6
        libgtk-1.2.so.0 => libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.1
        libgdk-1.2.so.0 => libgdk-1.2.so.0.2.1
        libz.so.1 => libz.so.1.1.3
        libxml.so.1 => libxml.so.1.4.0
        libobgtk.so.1 => libobgtk.so.1.2.1
        libobgnome.so.0 => libobgnome.so.0.0.0
        libzvt.so.2 => libzvt.so.2.2.5
        libgtkxmhtml.so.1 => libgtkxmhtml.so.1.0.1
        libgnorbagtk.so.0 => libgnorbagtk.so.0.0.0
        libgnorba.so.27 => libgnorba.so.27.1.7
        libgnomeui.so.32 => libgnomeui.so.32.10.1
        libgnomesupport.so.0 => libgnomesupport.so.0.0.0
        libgnome.so.32 => libgnome.so.32.3.5
        libart_lgpl.so.2 => libart_lgpl.so.2.1.0
        libgdkcardimage.so.0 => libgdkcardimage.so.0.0.0
        libpanel_applet.so.0 => libpanel_applet.so.0.0.0
        libgkb_applet.so.0 => libgkb_applet.so.0.0.0
        libfish_applet.so.0 => libfish_applet.so.0.0.0
        libgmp.so.2 => libgmp.so.2.0.2
        libglib.so.1 => libglib.so.1.0.6
        libgimpui.so.1 => libgimpui.so.1.0.4
        libgimp.so.1 => libgimp.so.1.0.4
        libgdbm.so.2 => libgdbm.so.2.0.0
        libgd.so.1 => libgd.so.1.2
        libgck.so.1 => libgck.so.1.0.0
        libttf.so.2 => libttf.so.2.1.0
        libexpect5.28.so => libexpect5.28.so
        libFnlib.so.0 => libFnlib.so.0.4.0
        libesddsp.so.0 => libesddsp.so.0.2.10
        libesd.so.0 => libesd.so.0.2.10
        libcapplet.so.0 => libcapplet.so.0.0.0
        libctutils.so.0 => libctutils.so.0.0.0
        libconsole.so.0 => libconsole.so.0.0.0
        libcfont.so.0 => libcfont.so.0.0.0
        libbz2.so.0.9.0 => libbz2.so.0.9.0
        libgthread-1.2.so.0 => libgthread-1.2.so.0.0.3
        libgmodule-1.2.so.0 => libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.3
        libglib-1.2.so.0 => libglib-1.2.so.0.0.3
        libcrack.so.2 => libcrack.so.2.7
        libslang.so.1 => libslang.so.1.3.8
        libaudiofile.so.0 => libaudiofile.so.0.0.0
        libgpm.so.1 => libgpm.so.1.17.3
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib:
        libvgagl.so.1 => libvgagl.so.1.2.13
        libvga.so.1 => libvga.so.1.2.13
        libtermcap.so.2 => libtermcap.so.2.0.8
        libstdc++.so.27 => libstdc++.so.27.1.4
        libpanel.so.3.0 => libpanel.so.1.9.9e
        libncurses.so.3.0 => libncurses.so.1.9.9e
        libmenu.so.3.0 => libmenu.so.1.9.9e
        libm.so.5 => libm.so.5.0.6
        libg++.so.27 => libg++.so.27.1.4
        libform.so.3.0 => libform.so.1.9.9e
        libc.so.5 => libc.so.5.3.12
        libXtst.so.6 => libXtst.so.6.1
        libXt.so.6 => libXt.so.6.0
        libXpm.so.4 => libXpm.so.4.9
        libXp.so.6 => libXp.so.6.2
        libXmu.so.6 => libXmu.so.6.0
        libXi.so.6 => libXi.so.6.0
        libXext.so.6 => libXext.so.6.3
        libXaw3d.so.6 => libXaw3d.so.6.1
        libXaw.so.6 => libXaw.so.6.1
        libXIE.so.6 => libXIE.so.6.0
        libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
        libSM.so.6 => libSM.so.6.0
        libPEX5.so.6 => libPEX5.so.6.0
        libICE.so.6 => libICE.so.6.3
[...]

/lib:
        libpanel.so.5 => libpanel.so.5.0
        libmenu.so.5 => libmenu.so.5.0
        libform.so.5 => libform.so.5.0
        libreadline.so.4.0 => libreadline.so.4.0
        libhistory.so.4.0 => libhistory.so.4.0
        libdl.so.1 => libdl.so.1.9.5
        ld-linux.so.1 => ld-linux.so.1.9.5
        libpam_misc.so.0 => libpam_misc.so.0.66
        libpam.so.0 => libpam.so.0.66
        libproc.so.2.0.0 => libproc.so.2.0.0
        libuuid.so.1 => libuuid.so.1.2
        libncurses.so.5 => libncurses.so.5.0
        libss.so.2 => libss.so.2.0
        libext2fs.so.2 => libext2fs.so.2.4
        libe2p.so.2 => libe2p.so.2.3
        libcom_err.so.2 => libcom_err.so.2.0
        libpwdb.so.0 => libpwdb.so.0.58
        libtermcap.so.2 => libtermcap.so.2.0.8
        libutil.so.1 => libutil-2.1.1.so
        libresolv.so.2 => libresolv-2.1.1.so
        libpthread.so.0 => libpthread-0.8.so
        libnss_nisplus.so.2 => libnss_nisplus-2.1.1.so
        libnss_nis.so.2 => libnss_nis-2.1.1.so
        libnss_hesiod.so.2 => libnss_hesiod-2.1.1.so
        libnss_files.so.2 => libnss_files-2.1.1.so
        librt.so.1 => librt-2.1.1.so
        libnss_dns.so.2 => libnss_dns-2.1.1.so
        libnss_db.so.2 => libnss_db-2.1.1.so
        libnss_compat.so.2 => libnss_compat-2.1.1.so
        libnss_nis.so.1 => libnss1_nis-2.1.1.so
        libnss_files.so.1 => libnss1_files-2.1.1.so
        libnss_dns.so.1 => libnss1_dns-2.1.1.so
        libnss_db.so.1 => libnss1_db-2.1.1.so
        libnss_compat.so.1 => libnss1_compat-2.1.1.so
        libnsl.so.1 => libnsl-2.1.1.so
        libm.so.6 => libm-2.1.1.so
        libdl.so.2 => libdl-2.1.1.so
        libdb.so.2 => libdb1-2.1.1.so
        libdb.so.3 => libdb-2.1.1.so
        libcrypt.so.1 => libcrypt-2.1.1.so
        libc.so.6 => libc-2.1.1.so
        libNoVersion.so.1 => libNoVersion-2.1.1.so
        libBrokenLocale.so.1 => libBrokenLocale-2.1.1.so
        ld-linux.so.2 => ld-2.1.1.so
From: Will Deakin
Bill&Virginia wrote:
> I am unpacking the following two files at /

This will put the program `lisp' in /usr/bin and the lisp-safe.core in
/usr/lib/cmucl. I think (I don't have a sensible cmucl installation but
from memory this is what happend). Please could you confirm this.

If this is the case, please could you try the following:

cd /usr/lib/cmucl
ln -s lisp-safe.core lisp.core
/usr/bin/lisp -core /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core

If this doesn't work, then it's time to try tracing libraries and stuff.

Best Regards,

:) will

From: Will Deakin

From: Will Deakin
You can specify the `core'file you want to use on the command line by
typing e.g. /usr/bin/lisp -core ~/lisp-small.core.

Best Regards,

:) will

From: Don Geddis
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:31:00 -0700, Larry Elmore <········@montana.campuscw.net> wrote:
> I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new Mandrake
> Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig' and
> then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a shared
> library because '__setfpucw' was undefined.

CMUCL comes in a pre-compiled RPM binary that works just fine under a
standard RedHat 6.1.  If Mandrake is a derivative, won't the standard
distribution work as is?  (Or is that what you already tried?  If so,
I don't understand the "ldconfig" part.)

	-- Don
Don Geddis                ······@cadabra.com               Phone 650-403-2220
Cadabra Inc.              http://cadabra.com                 Fax 650-403-2201
1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 300, San Mateo, CA 94404          Main 650-403-2200
From: Larry Elmore
··························@jedi.tesserae.com...
<········@montana.campuscw.net> wrote:
> > I downloaded the CMUCL tar.gz and untarred it into /usr on a new
Mandrake
> > Linux 6.1 installation (it's a Redhat 6.1 derivative). Ran 'ldconfig'
and
> > then 'lisp'. I got an error message stating that it couldn't load a
shared
> > library because '__setfpucw' was undefined.
>
> CMUCL comes in a pre-compiled RPM binary that works just fine under a
> standard RedHat 6.1.  If Mandrake is a derivative, won't the standard
> distribution work as is?  (Or is that what you already tried?  If so,
> I don't understand the "ldconfig" part.)

Perhaps I'm blind or daft, but I haven't seen a CMUCL RPM anywhere. Where
can I find it?

Larry
From: Joseph Dale
> > CMUCL comes in a pre-compiled RPM binary that works just fine under a
> > standard RedHat 6.1.  If Mandrake is a derivative, won't the standard
> > distribution work as is?  (Or is that what you already tried?  If so,
> > I don't understand the "ldconfig" part.)
>
> Perhaps I'm blind or daft, but I haven't seen a CMUCL RPM anywhere. Where
> can I find it?
>
> Larry

Seems to be in
ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/Linux/rpm-format/

Joe
From: Larry Elmore
"Joseph Dale" <·····@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
······················@uclink4.berkeley.edu...

> > > CMUCL comes in a pre-compiled RPM binary that works just fine under a
> > > standard RedHat 6.1.  If Mandrake is a derivative, won't the standard
> > > distribution work as is?  (Or is that what you already tried?  If so,
> > > I don't understand the "ldconfig" part.)
> >
> > Perhaps I'm blind or daft, but I haven't seen a CMUCL RPM anywhere.
Where
> > can I find it?
> >
> > Larry
>
> Seems to be in

ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/languages/lisp/cmucl/experimental/Linux/rpm-format/

Ah. Thanks!

Larry
From: Bill&Virginia Hodges
I let Larry Elmore's fix to __setfpucw expire from my server before
I saved it.   Would somebody be so kind as to repost it or emial it to
me.

Thanks,
Bill