From: ·········@lxny.org
Subject: NYC LOCAL: LXNY Meeting Tuesday 4 January 2000:  Philip Wadler will speak on XML and Lisp
<personal>
If you like any of the *ml+tags-which-do-something systems, whether your
favorite system is source secret or free, this meeting is for you.  Lisp
is based upon two simple ideas:

1. Data and programs are organized into trees, just like *ml.

2. You must systematically distinguish between the thing and the result of
   evaluating the thing, but both are first class objects.

The extendo-tag systems folk already do 1, and they are in process of
discovering the advantages of 2.
</personal>

LXNY will next meet on Tuesday 4 January 2000 in the IBM building
at 590 Madison Avenue on the Island of Manhattan.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

In particular, all members of FUNY, NYLUG, LUNY!, AnyNIX, the Brooklyn
Bunch, and all other Free Software Groups are welcome!

The meeting starts at 6:30 pm and runs until 9:00 pm.  Enter the building
on the corner of 57th Street and Madison Avenue and ask at the front desk
for the room number.

At exactly 9:00 pm many members will repair to our traditional place of
refreshment.

Philip Wadler, of the Functional Cabal^W^W^W^Wserious compiler and
categorical hacker, one of the designers of Haskell, the pure, lazy,
functional programming language with monads for input/output, member of
the W3C XML Query working group, late of Glasgow University, now at
Bell Labs of Lucent, will speak at this meeting.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/index.html

The subject will be XML and Lisp:

The Next 700 Markup Languages

Philip Wadler. Invited Talk, Second Conference on Domain Specific
Languages (DSL'99), Austin, Texas, October 1999.

XML (eXtensible Markup Language) is a magnet for hype: the successor to
HTML for Web publishing, electronic data interchange, and e-commerce. In
fact, XML is little more than a notation for trees and for tree grammars,
a verbose variant of Lisp S-expressions coupled with a poor man's BNF
(Backus-Naur form). Yet this simple basis has spawned scores of
specialized sublanguages: for airlines, banks, and cell phones; for
astronomy, biology, and chemistry; for the DOD and the IRS.
Domain-specific languages indeed! There is much for the language designer
to contribute here. In particular, as all this is based on a sort of
S-expression, is there a role for a sort of Lisp?

Links having to do with this circle of ideas:

http://perl.apache.org/embperl
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SA/SAMTREGAR
http://www.distributed.net
http://cosm.mithral.com
http://www.cs.yale.edu/Linda/linda.html
http://www.fs.net/sfs
http://www.xmlscript.org
http://www.risource.org
http://www.xmlforall.com/
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~normark/laml
http://theopenlab.uml.edu/loci
http://www.xmltp.org
http://www.jabber.org
http://www.xml-rpc.com
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/xmill
http://www.bowerbird.com.au/XDBM
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/XU/XuPageKeio.html
http://www.xanadu.net
http://www.hsdi.com/qddb
http://www.multivaluedatabases.com
http://www.framerd.org
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc
http://www.cons.org
http://www.schemers.org

Upcoming Events:

The next LinuxWorld Expo will be held at The Javits Convention Center
1 February through 4 February 2000.  All who run any free OS, no matter
what kernel, are welcome.  Those who still use a source secret OS in their
business should come to this educational event.

http://www.linuxworldexpo.com

We do not yet know the exact date of the next Refund Day, but it will be
held some time before 2 February 2000.  The refund clause of the End User
Licensing Agreement used by most vendors of IBM style peecees is still
not honored by many of the large vendors.  This will shortly be
corrected.

http://www.netmonger.net/~onr/ny/welcome.html

Cassandra maintains a listing of local free software events at:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~casandra/linux/calendar.html

LXNY will meet regularly the first Tuesday of each month at IBM
throughout 2000.  LXNY and its supporters thank IBM for the donation of
this meeting space.  LXNY also thanks those who, inside and outside of
IBM, worked in favor of this gift.

Jay Sulzberger <·········@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <············@panix7.panix.com>, ·········@lxny.org wrote:

> Links having to do with this circle of ideas:

Add:

CL-HTTP, the Common Lisp Hypermedia Server
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

The latest version (70.23) has an XML parser in
its contrib directory:

CL-XML is written by James Anderson and Benno Biewer.

From its documentation:

  we have implemented a primitive "processor" in common
  lisp for data streams serialized according to the
  "extensible markup language" standard. this document
  provides a cursory introduction to xml, describes the
  implemented parsing/processing mechanism for CLOS-based
  applications, and explains how to use the processor.

  the processor is intended both as an extension to the
  cl-http server and as a stand-alone xml interface. the
  runtime environment is examined during the loading
  process to determine if the if http support is already
  present. if so, then the existing facilities are used
  and server extensions are generated to support xml.if
  cl-http is not present, then these extensions are not
  loaded and only file streams and primtive http streams
  are supported.

  the xml processor reads a marked up data stream to
  produce a document object which binds definition
  information and element content. the respective class
  definitions include support for access to definition
  and content data and for document serialization.

  additional utilities are included to

    instantiate and serialize instances of arbitrary
    specializations of STANDARD-CLASS from and to an xml
    representation.

    offer an element interface to record-oriented data (mcl
    3.*, 4.*; allegro 4.3), thereby offering an uniform
    interface to "ascii" and "binary" data.

  several demonstration files are included, among them an
  example of document and element serialization is
  included which presents documentation for several
  common-lisp data classes (function, generic-function,
  symbol, standard-class) as xml or html, depending on
  the browser capabilities.

Rainer Joswig, ISION Internet AG, Harburger Schlossstra�e 1,
21079 Hamburg, Germany, Tel: +49 40 77175 226
Email: ·············@ision.de , WWW: http://www.ision.de/
From: Robert Monfera
Rainer Joswig wrote:

>   additional utilities are included to
>
>     instantiate and serialize instances of arbitrary
>     specializations of STANDARD-CLASS from and to an xml
>     representation.

Did you actually mean specialization of STANDARD-CLASS (class
definition, GF etc.), an intance of it or both?  (It's cool either way.)

Robert