From: Julian M Underwood
Subject: common lisp online resource?
Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend a
good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,

Julian

From: Gavin E. Gleason
Subject: Re: common lisp online resource?
Not exactly a good site to learn lisp, but it is an extremely valuable
resource.

http://www.harlequin.com/support/books/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html

--
"Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."
	-Alan Perlis
From: Robert Monfera
Julian M Underwood wrote:

> Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend
> a good site to learn Lisp?

Successful Lisp from David Lamkins.

I'd recommend reading multiple books though - for recommendations,
search http://www.deja.com .

Robert
From: Christopher Browne
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Julian M Underwood would say:
>Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend a
>good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,

a) The HyperSpec
b) Successful Lisp
c) CLTL2

URLs to the above available at URL below...
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #8. "When I've captured my adversary and he
says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this
From: Andrew Cooke
If you're just learning Lisp (ie have met functional programming before
- perhaps by reading Abelson & Sussman - which is one computer book that
probably is worth the money) then CLtL2 or the hypersepc might be
sufficient (both can be found from www.alu.org).  At least, that's what
I did, together with asking questions to this group (who are very
helpful - for example, even though I read about once a day and try to
answer newbie questions if I can, I find that they have usually already
been answered by others).

However, I would recommend, if you end up enjoying Lisp, reading On Lisp
by Paul Graham.  If you're used to programming in other languages
and have picked up Lisp from the references above then On Lisp
introduces aspects of Lisp that you probably don't know (and might not
realise you didn't know...).

Andrew
http://www.andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk/index.html

In article <···············@typhoon.nyu.edu>,
  Julian M Underwood <······@is5.nyu.edu> wrote:

> Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend
> good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Erik Naggum
* Julian M Underwood <······@is5.nyu.edu>
| Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend a
| good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,

  www.lisp.org  ==  www.alu.org

#:Erik
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Julian M Underwood wrote:

> Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend a
> good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,

nyu.edu - If the library doesn't have the good Lisp books, fill up a
request form asking that they buy them,
whether they promise they'll get them for you or not.

[Don't ask "Which books?". Look at the (ancient) Lisp FAQ, search
deja.com, or go to www.alu.org]

Regards,

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking

www.csem.ch      www.vrai.com     ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html
From: Robert Posey
"Fernando D. Mato Mira" wrote:

> Julian M Underwood wrote:
>
> > Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend a
> > good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,
>
> nyu.edu - If the library doesn't have the good Lisp books, fill up a
> request form asking that they buy them,
> whether they promise they'll get them for you or not.
>
> [Don't ask "Which books?". Look at the (ancient) Lisp FAQ, search
> deja.com, or go to www.alu.org]

My library at SMU had several LISP books, most of the commonly recommended
ones.  After dealing with some more complex questions I would buy unless
I was really poor.
 "Ansi Common Lisp" by Paul Graham

and

 "LISP 3rd Edition" by Patrick Henry Winston.

And check out www.bookpool.com for fairly good prices, if not the fastest
delivery.

BTW: Some noble LISP user needs to write up some reviews of books and post them
somewhere, you can't let the C/C++ crowd out do you can you?

Muddy
Yes, if someone sets it up I will write-up  a beginner's opinion.

From: Andrew Cooke
In article <·················@raytheon.com>,
  Robert Posey <·····@raytheon.com> wrote:
> BTW: Some noble LISP user needs to write up some reviews of books and
post them
> somewhere, you can't let the C/C++ crowd out do you can you?
[...]
> Yes, if someone sets it up I will write-up  a beginner's opinion.

My mumblings (I've just noticed an accidental capital letter and suspect
I should have used "semantics" rather than "syntax" - i'll check a
dictionary) at
http://www.andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk/andrew/writing/complisp.html

It's pretty newbie level.

Someone here (Monfera? (sp - sorry?)) has a review of AMOP on a web
page.  I'll link to it when I find it again.

From: Daniel Barlow
Robert Posey <·····@raytheon.com> writes:

> BTW: Some noble LISP user needs to write up some reviews of books
> and post them somewhere, you can't let the C/C++ crowd out do you
> can you?

What, you mean something like http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html#Books ?

Yes, that would be a good idea.

-dan
From: Rob Linwood
········@iname.com (Fernando D. Mato Mira) wrote in
<·················@iname.com>:

>Julian M Underwood wrote:
>
>> Instead of buying a book on Common Lisp, can someone kindly reccomend a
>> good site to learn Lisp?  Thanks a lot,
>
>nyu.edu - If the library doesn't have the good Lisp books, fill up a
>request form asking that they buy them,
>whether they promise they'll get them for you or not.

It's funny that you mention that.  There actually is a Lisp tutorial at
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/linguistics/nlcp/lisp.html but it looks rather
incomplete.

As for the original poster, I can vouch for the fact that there are indeed
Lisp books at NYU's library, and probably more at CIMS.

Lastly, there's always
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Lisp/

--
Rob Linwood -- ···@auntfloyd.com -- ······@is9.nyu.edu