From: Lisa
Subject: Has slashdot been slashdotted, or is it my ISP?
Hello.

For the last two days, 22nd and 23rd, I can't log on slashdot.org.

I can get to deja.com and freshmeat.net without problem, I just can't
get on slashdot.org.

Has slashdot been slashdotted, or is it tmnet that is the problem?

Lisa
·····@saintmail.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Chad Myers
Subject: Re: Has slashdot been slashdotted, or is it my ISP?
They probably just had to take it down for their daily reboot =)

Or perhaps the file system got corrupted again and they had
to run a 10 hour fsck.

Slashdot always has problems, I wouldn't worry much about it.

-Chad

·················@nnrp1.deja.com...

From: Sarch
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:02:09 GMT, Lisa <·····@saintmail.net> wrote:

>Has slashdot been slashdotted, or is it tmnet that is the problem?

Nope, they've been Slashdotted. I've had the same problems as you.

Sarch

--
Spamblock in action: Remove NOTREAL from email address to reply via email.

  "Look, if that's where those poor children are, of course I'll go
   to Somalia."  -  Amanda Keller, "The Hub"
From: Eric Remy
In article <··································@4ax.com>, Sarch
<··@notreal.zip.com.au> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:02:09 GMT, Lisa <·····@saintmail.net> wrote:
>
>>Has slashdot been slashdotted, or is it tmnet that is the problem?
>
>Nope, they've been Slashdotted. I've had the same problems as you.

It's not the network: it's something weird with their setup.

For the past ~2 weeks, /. has been almost totally unavailable to me.
It's not the network: pings go through with virtually no lag- 20ms at
best, traceroutes are clear.  It's not machine load: the machine stats
report that usage is often well under 1, rarely higher than 3.

Other posters on /. have complained as well.

--
Eric Remy.  Chemistry Learning Center Director, Virginia Tech
"I don't like (quantum mechanics),   | How many errors can
From: Espen Vestre
Eric Remy <······@chemserver.chem.vt.edu> writes:

> For the past ~2 weeks, /. has been almost totally unavailable to me.
> It's not the network: pings go through with virtually no lag- 20ms at
> best, traceroutes are clear.  It's not machine load: the machine stats
> report that usage is often well under 1, rarely higher than 3.

DoS-attacks?
--
  (espen)
From: Eric Remy
In article <··············@wallace.nextel.no>, Espen Vestre
<·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> wrote:

>Eric Remy <······@chemserver.chem.vt.edu> writes:
>
>> For the past ~2 weeks, /. has been almost totally unavailable to me.
>> It's not the network: pings go through with virtually no lag- 20ms at
>> best, traceroutes are clear.  It's not machine load: the machine stats
>> report that usage is often well under 1, rarely higher than 3.
>
>DoS-attacks?

In that case the network would be clogged- it's not.  It was very
obvious when Yahoo went down to DoS attacks- my traceroutes simply died
when they got close.

From: Chad Myers

When I was at home, on my cable modem, I couldn't get it at all.

But when I try it from work, on an ADSL, I can get it just fine.

I could ping it from home, so it's not a routing issue.

It's like somebody, somewhere along the line is blocking port 80
or something?

Very strange...

--
Chad Myers

·································@news.vt.edu...

From: William Deakin
Chad wrote:

> It's like somebody, somewhere along the line is blocking port 80 or
> something?

Have you tried ping'ing port 80, or running traceroute on this IP and port. If
these work, telnet onto this port and look at what you get. When this times out
you should get something like:

TTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:50:40 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Bad Request</H1>
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<P>
Invalid URI in request this is rubbish<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.6 Server at linux361.dn.net Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.