From: Martin Mallinson
Subject: A Flavors compatibility package...
Anyone out there aware of a Symbolics Flavors Compatibility package of
some sort?

For those to whom this makes any sense, this is so-called "new flavors"
an example of which would be: (defmethod (:string-for-printing
icon-shape) () name) ie message first....

Thanks
Martin M.

From: Robert Monfera
Subject: Re: A Flavors compatibility package...
Martin Mallinson wrote:

> Anyone out there aware of a Symbolics Flavors Compatibility package of
> some sort?

I think ACL form Franz supports or used to support Flavors - check their
publicly available documentation.  Also, maybe Poplog Lisp (now
open-source) also supports it.

Robert
From: Pierre R. Mai
Robert Monfera <·······@fisec.com> writes:

> Martin Mallinson wrote:
> >
> > Anyone out there aware of a Symbolics Flavors Compatibility package of
> > some sort?
>
> I think ACL form Franz supports or used to support Flavors - check their
> publicly available documentation.  Also, maybe Poplog Lisp (now
> open-source) also supports it.

Yes ACL does include a compatability flavors package (require :flavors),
but AFAIK this isn't New Flavors, e.g. the method definition has the old
order

(defmethod (flavor-name [method-type] operation) lambda-list forms*)

The Franz documentation itself states that they are compatible to
Symbolics' Release 6 Flavors, but not to Release 7 Flavors.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Christian Lynbech
At ELUGM'99 (European Lisp Users Group Meeting), there was a
presentation from a project from IUT du Havre (France) describing the
translation of a job scheduling system from New Flavors to CLOS.

Another presentation described a system (FoOBar, from IST in Lisbon,
Portugal) which had lived through several generations of lisp to end
up as an Common Lisp application. I remember him talking about going
from Flavors to CLOS as well.

I can look through the proceedings for names and adresses if you want
to consider going down that road.

---------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8738 2228       | email: ···@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: Martin Mallinson
No that's Ok Christian, we are well able to port the thing ourselves I was just
looking for an intermediate step...thank you for responding however, I appreciate
it. (and to those of you who have offered to port the code for us, thank you too,
but we will do it in-house).
Martin M